Computer help forum: Really Bad Computer Virus

by: VanillaSkittlez March 7, 2013 4:12 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Really Bad Computer Virus

by VanillaSkittlez - 3/7/13 4:12 PM

So I've been having this horrendous virus with my computer that I can't seem to get rid of, and it's completely debilitating to my work and everything.. If any of you have any ideas about what could be causing it or possible solutions or any input at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

First off, my specs:
Computer Name: MININT-U0EQMHS
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: Dell, Inc.
System Model: XPS L501X
BIOS: Ver 1.00 BIOS A04 PARTTBLb
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67 GHz (4 CPUs) ~ 2.7GHz
Memory: 8192 RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Okay, so first off, my computer will randomly shut off sometimes and crash to a blue screen of death, dump some files and memory, and restart itself. Windows then asks me if I want to do a startup repair (recommended) - I do so, and it can find nothing and asks if I wish to system restore. I've tried to system restore countless times and everytime I do it says "System Restore was Unsuccessful" - and no rollback.

When I start my computer again, occasionally, my internet bar in the lower right corner will have a red X through it and when I hover my mouse over it, it says that "No Internet Connections are Available" even though for the last several years I connect to the router wifi in my house. When I restart my computer, 4/5 times it will then be completely fine and connect as normal and show all the other connections around my house. Sometimes the red X will remain there despite the fact my internet is working fine.

Additionally, sometimes when I restart it will revert back to an older version of Windows... in other words, icons and buttons seem older and less modern, oddly enough and where the newer, circular button for "Start" with the Windows logo on it is now will be replaced by an older, gray rectangle with the "Start" button on it as seen in older models of Windows.

Smaller things also occur, as if just to frustrate me. My Word Documents after saving a few times will randomly become "Read Only" and therefore I can't edit them, so I have to copy and paste the whole document, paste it in a new document, save it, and delete the old one.

When playing video games in a graphically intense state or a crowded place on an MMO, the game will flicker, the sound will cut, and it will crash to desktop with a message that says that my graphics card "Has stopped working but has now recovered" which is extremely frustrating.

Sometimes the virus will uninstall random programs and I'll get a message stating that for instance, "You are now running an older version of Steam" and another message asking "Would you like to allow this program to make changes to your computer?" with the verified publisher as "Valve".

I've installed countless virus protection and scanning programs but none pick up on anything... and I can't system restore. I've installed drivers to update software but none of it seems to make a difference. My computer also stopped checking for updates automatically, and when I click on the bubble and try to update it manually, I get a message saying that it can't establish a connection, and as such I've been unable to perform maintenance on my computer for months now.

All these occurrences are extremely frustrating, so if anyone has any tips on how to correct any of these or even diagnose this virus, that would be great and it would be much appreciated. Big thanks in advance.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close