Computer help forum: Blue screen o' death at startup: What to do?

by: ItalianAl February 21, 2013 2:08 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Blue screen o' death at startup: What to do?

by ItalianAl - 2/21/13 2:08 PM

Ok, I just went to storage and picked up my older desktop that I bought in 2005. It is a Windows XP system, and I upgraded its RAM memory to more modern standards a few years ago, so it should still be a viable computer for most tasks. It has the Pentium 4 processor.

This computer was taken out of regular use about late 2009, and it sat in my closet unplugged til last March(2012) when it was taken to storage. It was placed inside a plastic bag so that no dust would effect it before being taken to storage, and after unbagging it, it has no dust on it. But it did get dusty when being stored in the closet from 2009-2012. I needed to access previous tax info.

So I plug it in, try to start it up, but after the initial Dell screen, it switches to the blue screen. I've never seen that screen, and it was only about 45 minutes ago that I read the ominous news that this screen is named the "blue screen of death", or BSOD.

Here's what it says:

A Problem has been detected, windows has been shut down.

IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal(sounds like something the Riddler would say to Batman!)

Blah, blah, blah

Technical info

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00038000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804ECACA)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact system administrator for assistance, blah, blah

So I went online with my other, newer computer and searched to figure out the problem. It led me to a troubleshooting site that talked about the 0x0000000A issues, and said it could be hardware or software related(that narrows it down!)

Then it said, "make sure to back up any and all important data before taking these troubleshooting steps". Well, thats just dumb, because the stop screen is preventing me from getting into the computer in the first place, so I cant back up anything at this point!

I did try going to safe mode, as recc on the blue screen as an option, but it always leads me back to the blue screen. At first it just said "Beginning dump of memory", but after the 2nd or 3rd time trying safe mode to get in, it started showing the "Physical dump complete" message.

Any ideas as to what this is? Again, it seemed to be working fine before being taken out of use, and has been sitting unplugged ever since. It was a very hot summer in that storage unit though.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close