Computer help forum: Best Monitor for me?

by: cjanson February 3, 2013 2:27 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Best Monitor for me?

by cjanson - 2/3/13 2:27 PM

I am looking for some feedback on a few questions that I have in regards to recommended equipment and color managing questions I would like some feedback on. I will start with some details as far as what I do and my current equipment so the suggestions can be as detailed as possible.
I am what I would describe as a semi pro designer and photographer. I began my interest in photography as a hobbyist years ago. Now, I am taking jobs both for photography and with graphic design. I mostly design websites, logos, and other common design work but that is really as far as my designs have gone thus far...
The equipment and software I am currently using are as followed:

Asus G74SX laptop (Modifications and specks bellow)
1. Upgraded to 16GB of ram and soon a SSD
2. Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M
3. I7 2670Q 220GHz CPU
4. Other specs http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388164,00.asp?tab=Specs

External displays (IPS)
1. Asus PA 248Q (new)
2. HP 2311XI

SpyderPRO4
Wacom Intuos4
Adobe CS5.5 masters collection (Possible Upgrade 6mo-1year)
Lightroom 3(Possible Upgrade 6mo-1year)
Nikon Cameras D3100 & D7000
Although I am using a laptop as a workstation currently, I am thinking of investing in building a Desktop configuration in the future. So in regards to your recommendations, keep this in mind.

Now I'll get to my questions.
I just got myself a PA248Q http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/PA248Q/ . I am thinking of returning this monitor in for the earlier monitor model PA246Q http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PA246Q/ the major difference with these two models as far as I see is the PA246Q has a 10bit P-IPS Panel and works with a wide gamut (98% aRGB) the PA248 has a cheaper panel and only 98% sRGB coverage
The color does look good on the PA248 even before calibration. But I was wondering if the PA246 is the better monitor for my needs? I am shooting raw photos and am currently shooting and working in sRGB but would shoot aRGB if I had the correct monitor. Am I missing out shooting in sRGB? Is it best for me to switch color spaces? Any reasons for having a 10bit monitor if I only output 8bits from laptop? I am using a HDMI now to run my external monitor. I figure that is better than the VGA output (my only options) will HDMI be my best bet?
I also heard that even if you only output 8bit the 10bit with wide gamut calibrates more accurately, is this true?
Any other benefits or suggestions that I did not touch on would be helpful as well. I just want to be sure as to what my best option is. I thank everyone ahead of time for your help and taking your time to give me some guidance. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved