Computer help forum: Dell Precision M90 - is this a graphics card failure?

by: Solais1019 January 21, 2013 11:20 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Dell Precision M90 - is this a graphics card failure?

by Solais1019 - 1/21/13 11:20 AM

My friend sent me his old gaming laptop a while back so I could join him in multiplayer games. The computer has worked for a while, however, there is a problem that is growing more frequent.

I cannot find a definite trigger, but the computer will start hanging up; the fans go full blast, the processor goes from its usual 17-25% usage to full 100%, everything gets more and more lagged down, then the screen is filled with dancing lines and the computer will not respond. I've seen the dancing lines before; in my experience it's a graphics card failure, but I've never seen a failure like this correspond with the processor going full tilt.

This issue hits seemingly at random. It can hit anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes after logging in (but has yet to strike after 20+ minutes of operation), and happens whether the computer is idle or I'm in a game. Connection to the internet does not appear to be a factor.
Not sure if it'll help or not, but for a general idea of the workload, I typically run Skype and Steam together, playing either Team Fortress 2 or Borderlands 2. I've disabled as many background programs as I can and uninstalled as many misc unused programs as I can find that aren't likely to cause problems with their removal. With the way 7 is set up I don't know how to determine what's necessary and what's not.

One of my friends says this issue a virus. Another says it's a graphics card failure. Another says there's a glitch with the fans and they're hogging the processor going full-speed like that. Yet another says it's a driver issue, or multiple drivers, given the age of the computer. My friend who gave it to me says it's easily 5 years if not older.

I'm asking here because I have no money to get it "professionally" inspected and want to know if there's anything I can do on my end, or if this thing's pretty much only good for parts since I can't afford replacements.

Model Specs:
DELL PRECISION M90
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 32-bit
2x - Intel(R) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz
4.00GB RAM (3.00 usable)
100GB Hard Drive
DirectX 9.0 +
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500M display adapter, version 7.15.11.7967
Total graphics memory: 1535 MB
Dedicated graphics memory: 256 MB
Dedicated system mem: 0
Shared system mem: 1279 MB

If more information is needed I can post Steam's system spec readout. I don't know how to get more details in Windows 7, my PC expertise lies more in XP.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved