I have to admit I can understand why a program like "TrueCrypt" would be considered anathema to some people, however if one uses that type of program correctly, (i.e.), coupling it with a program that password-protects each file on the hard drive before the volume is actually encrypted, it simply will act as another layer of security, in effect buying the system-administrator a bit more time that may not otherwise exist if a criminal can gain relatively easy access to its operating system.
It's basically a safeguard that works 99% of the time. The other 1%, for example, would be in the unlikely event that a robber whom breaks into your home and steals your computer, would at the same time be a super-hacker that knows how to work a program like "Evil Maid" to gain access to the system --- Its like saying that because there's a one in a million chance that you might crash in an air-plane, that you shouldn't worry about wearing a seat-belt on that plane --- the fact is, it still has the potential to save your life. Most crooks that break into a home are more than likely not that smart, much less computer savvy either, they're just looking to steal cash and goods that they can sell to make more stolen cash.
Despite the recent controversies over the likelihood of a program like "TrueCrypt" being compromised by a hardware attack, the idea that you can buy time is still worth the investment if the program itself is free and the system administrator knows what steps to take to thwart a physical attack by supplementing advanced security protocols programming.
As previously mentioned, there are many layers of security usually involved in any well-secured environment. Having the extra-layer of protection still makes sense 99% of the time.
In response to the comment made about third-party applications and their usefulness, as previously mentioned, errors usually occur due to inexperienced users and their subsequent impatience to try to get the job done anyway, despite the fact that they may be guessing 50% of the time when it comes to some of the aspects of these programs.
There are good programs out there. One just has to know what to look for and also know what they are doing, otherwise they really shouldn't go for these programs.
Bottom line, nothing is going to be completely perfect, just like the fact that even a brand new operating system is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination --- that's what leads to the development of many of these programs, primarily to address as much of the inherent imperfections of operating systems software as they possibly can.
Tune-Up Utilities is definitely a wise investment for end-users with Windows pcs, especially if they aren't really interested in paying a microsoft technician $50 - $100, just to answer a few basic questions about functionality and configurations, when clearly they've already payed an arm and a leg for the operating system itself.
If I can pay $20 - $30 for an application that will continuously maintain my system with little to no effort on my part --- thats definitely alot better than paying 3 times that much in just one instance to a technician from the same company my operating system was purchased from, just so they can answer a few questions.
In my opinion, its the OS manufacturers' that work hand in glove with these technicians to finagle more and more money out of the consumer every year and obviously this happens because their are currently no laws which strictly mandate them to include a fair amount of support for their products.
And when I say fair, I mean so long as an operating system is being supported by Microsoft via updates, etc..., they should also provide free general OS support for its customer base directly from Microsoft, (i.e., answering any questions about functionality or proper-configuration to those who've already paid for the software). Microsoft makes a fortune selling its products on the market, yet they won't even provide you with answers to your basic questions, unless you fork over more dough?! -- um, hmmm, sounds alot like some crazy monopoly to me!
I mean really, we the consumer literally pay hundreds of dollars for these operating systems, yet when the time comes that we have a simple question about its functionality or how its settings should be, we are still at the mercy of a very limited warranty, if at all after only a few years, and are subsequently expected to shell out more money for our OS inquiries?! ---- Now that's a sham and a half if there ever was any!
Was this reply helpful? (1) (1)