Computer help forum: Monitor enters power save mode immediately after startup

by: did2 September 9, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Monitor enters power save mode immediately after startup

by did2 - 9/9/10 4:01 AM

Hi all. When I power on my desktop, my LG LCD monitor behaves normally for about 10 seconds until it turns black and says Power Saving Mode, with the monitor light changing from blue to orange. The computer seems to continue booting up normally, as I can hear the Windows startup music when Windows eventually starts.

When this first occurred, I did a hard reset to try again - this time my system displayed the menu that gives the option to reboot in Safe Mode, but before I had a chance to make any selection, I lost video again, after about 10 secs. Tried restarting a couple more times but always with the same results..... even if I try to enter the BIOS setup screen, my monitor will still lose video signal after just a few seconds.

I tried switching my monitor's DVI cable over to the second DVI output on the video card, and that solved the problem. The following day the same problem occurred on the second output, and since then both DVI outputs on the video card produce the same problem.

I've tried searching for possible solutions, and some other internet threads out there recommend pulling out and reseating the video card and memory, making sure to clean any dust, but that didn't seem to help my problem. I've also seen some threads mentioning that it may be a problem with the motherboard battery forcing a low power mode. But removing and replacing the battery doesn't solve this problem either.

I've also read that there may be some motherboard power saving settings that might interfere with the OS's settings, but unfortunately I can't review/edit these settings because even if I try to go into the BIOS setup, I still only have a couple seconds before the screen goes black.

Unfortunately I don't have another monitor or DVI cable to test this with. My card has an S video output but I don't have a cable. Since I'm clueless at the moment, I'd rather not spend money on new cables unless I'm fairly certain it would solve the problem, but if you guys have a good idea I would take your advice happy I do have a video card from an old desktop, but it doesn't fit into the same slot on the motherboard.

Here are my specs as well as I can remember them:
Monitor: LG LCD
Video Card: ATI Radeon 56XX or 57XX 512MB
CPU: Intel Quad-Core 3.0GHz
RAM: 8GB
My system is about 2.5 years old.

One other piece of info: A few months ago I used to experience some incidents of pixellation on the screen. This would occur once every few days over the course of a couple months, but then it stopped. Dunno if this is related but it kinda indicates to me that my best solution is to try replacing my video card.

Sorry for the long post, but anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close