Staff pick

RAM,memory management and BIOS

by ClaudiaWalky - 6/21/10 4:31 PM

I have a 5 years-old custom pc with this components:

-MoBo >>>> Giga-byte 8vm533m-rz mini ATX
-processor>>>> Pentium 4 2,26GHz Northwood
-BIOS >>>>>>>>Award (Phoenix) F2 09/17/2004
-chipset>>>>>> Giga-Byte VT8751 ProSavageDDR P4M266 System Controller
-memory>>>>>>>2 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets, supports up to 2GB DRAM (Max)

[I had two memory sticks until my problems began:
NovaTech Solutions 1GB DDR PC3200U DDR-200 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)
Infineon (Siemens) AED660UD00-600C88X 512MB DDR PC2700U DDR-166 (2.5-3-3-7 2-10-0-0)]

-On-board sound
-Storage Devices >
+WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 80GB (ATA10:75GB (C:) FAT32
+WDC WD1600AVBB-00SYA0 (160GB, :149GB (D:) (E:) (F:) NTFS
+Toshiba StorE-Alu USB-HD 500.1GB:466GB (H:)
+LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A (ATA3:N/A (G:)

-Encore ENLTV-FM
-USB mouse
-ps2 keyboard

-Windows XP SP2

Everything was perfect until the 2nd week of May.One day my security software

went bad.Avast was deactivated and Spybot didn't work either.I think but can't recall for sure that it was when the RAM went wrong.But there's one episode I remember well.That special day I powered on the Voltage Stabilizer as always.The previous night I forgot to power off the power strip (where I plug monitor,modem and power supply) and also forgot to unplug the USB-HD.So when the power went on,WOW!,the USB-HD light flashed as never before.After that nothing seemed wrong.But some days later,when I went on with the routine of power on my pc,the BIOS sent that awful continuous sound of bad RAM.
After 3 intents,it finally got into Windows.Next time I powered on I had to do the 3

intents again.I went on a frenzy search of probable causes before declaring the RAM guilty.
Finally,I checked the sticks one by one,and the 1Gb was the culprit.After trying a parallel

installation with no luck,I sent it to the store and after a check they changed it.But when

I tried to use it,I couldn't.Even though the BIOS didn't sound bad(so the stick was ok) the

computer couldn't enter Windows as normal.
After some intents,and trying safe mode,the system sent a warning:"boot.ini file

corrupt" Ok,let's make a parallel installation...When it was installing files,it warned a file couldn't be copied.Retried and it went through the end.By the time it went into the

configuration steps,a BSOD appear(as with the previous parallel installation with the bad

RAM).But this time I took the time to read it:It sent an error of memory management.
I took the 1Gb memory stick out and left the 512Mb one alone.Sob...Previous new parallel install,I began searching for a cure for the last 15 days with not much luck.I was sure the MoBo was ruined and if I were lucky enough, it could be something that can be fixed by someone good at electronics.One day,trying everything, I run the scan from Crucial and the answered was:

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 524288 MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
* Available Memory Slots: 1
* Total Memory Slots: 2
* Dual Channel Support: N.A.
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz Model 2, level 9
* CPU Speed: 2278 MHz

WHAT?!?! 524288Mb?!?!?!!

And yesterday I read somewhere someone was advised to reset the BIOS and another one to

upgrade it in cases similar to mine.

So here,finally,my (3) question(s):

1- Is there any possibility that a corrupted BIOS can cause this memory management

problem? Can this be the problem and not the motherboard itself?
If it's so,

2- what are the odds to upgrade or reinstall Award BIOS without any danger? I read

that even an expert can ruin the MoBo by doing that.But then I found a video tutorial in

YouTube using the Q-Flash in Gigabyte MoBos and it seemed so easy!....if the power doesn't

go off.My Gigabyte doesn't have dual BIOS as newer Gigabyte MoBos.

3- Someone knows of a complete tutorial about configuring a BIOS after reinstalling

it?

Thanks in advance!

Caia

PS I don't know if this is normal,but now with only 512Mb when I plug
the USB-HD in one of the back 2.0 USB,the mouse in the frontal 1.1 USB freezes and I have to plug and unplug it every 15-30 seconds to use it.And I can't plug the scanner in the other frontal USB because the mouse become equally unresponsive than with the HD.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close