Fix for Problems with Synaptics Touch Pad for Win Vista 32

by senrisa - 2/17/10 11:38 PM

I have been having problems with my Synaptics Touch Pad the last couple of days. The cursor goes nuts and it clicks on everything dragging and dropping files everywhere. I also noticed the problem only occured when I was connected to the internet. When I wasn't connected, the touch pad worked fine. I was sick of having to use my external mouse so I searched everywhere on the net looking for a solution, but through my own trial and error I found a solution to my problem.

This should work for anyone currently running a Dell Inspiron with Win Vista 32 (not sure if these details actually matter).

First, I had to format my hard drive and re-install the operating software along with the Dell drivers that came with my computer. I had to directly access the driver cd and expand the files for the Synaptics Touch Pad. This didn't fix the problem though. However, I was at least now able to access the touch pad's options and turn the "tap to click" option off keeping the touch pad from clicking and dragging files. The mouse would still move around rapidly when touching the pad. Second, I installed all of the important windows updates except for Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, KB943411 and KB968389. I think installing the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is what screws up the Synaptics Touch Pad. Since I've installed the updates I've no longer had any problems with the Synaptics Touch Pad.

I know just how crazy this made me so I hope this helps some of you out there. If I happen to come across anything else I'll be sure to post it here.