Here is the full answer: (4 lamers w/ 1/2 brain)
1. You must uncheck "Simple File Sharing" under the Tools Menu in the primary (and any secondary) drives. Then close the Explorer or other directory windows. Don't forget to hit the "Apply" and "OK" buttons.
2. This results in adding the "Security" tab (the 'classic' interface) back to all the directories which have a properties page.
3. Re-open (right-click on My Computer) the full root directory - typically your C: drive. Go down to System Volume Information and right click with the mouse. Open he Security tab. You will now need to add two users: your name as you use when you logon to Windows, and "Administrators". Add each on a new line. Then, click the tab for "Permissions" and make sure you check "Full Control". Next, click "Apply" and "OK" and exit to root directory (C: view). You should see a hand holding a drive icon. If you do, you can now view and manipulate SVI. The above applies to all hidden files.
4. If desired, go back to Tools menu and recheck simple file sharing.
Note: Turning "on" or "off file restore through Control Panel or right-click on My Computer is irrevelant. Until you add your name or the Administrators name, the other commands are secondary and will change nothing!!! The Security tab settings are a primary call to the permissions in the registry. Even using SubinACL or Securedit or trying to access through MS-DOS as an Administrator on Safe Mode using the ATTRIB command set will be unable to bypass this fundamental security requirement.
More BTW: This is what cyper sleuths and cops do not want you to know. When you turn off the System Restore by using the Security tab, you eliminate 98% of the vital "I can track everything you downloaded" artifacts. The other 2% is the part that is eliminated by Evidence Eliminator, CCleaner, etc. If you do not follow the aboe and wipe/clean your RP (Restore Points) regularly, Encase and other forensic software can easily see where you went and what you downloaded in plain text.
Was this reply helpful? (2) (0)