Computer powers on then powers off immediately

by Scheppmann - 7/19/08 9:31 AM

Hey all. I posted about a month ago about my computer failing to POST after initially restarting itself several times. I eventually concluded it must've been my motherboard after testing most of my parts, and RMA'd it as it was still under warranty. I just received my motherboard back a couple days ago. It appeared to have a part replaced on it, so I assume something was changed or fixed, as they did not yell at me for nothing being wrong with it. I've run into some problems after putting it all back together though. When I power on my pc, it will make a familiar clicking noise as if it were about to POST, then shuts off immediately before it can. If I attempted to repower it too many times too quickly, the fans would continue to run but there would be no click/POST. Confused, I double checked if everything was placed correctly, then decided to use my reset switch pin in the power spot. Surprisingly, the computer started up fine, no errors or anything. Excited, I shut the computer down and ran it upstairs to set up in my room, and again, it powered up just fine. I was able to run my programs and games for the rest of the night. This morning I go to power my computer up again, but the same issue returned: it would power off immediately after turning on and producing that click.

I thought the power switch on the case may have been faulty, but now I'm not so certain. I swapped them back and forth a couple times to no avail. I'm beginning to suspect it may be my PSU, which is different than my original. My friend had blown his up in the process of putting his computer back together after helping me test some of my components before I sent out my motherboard, so I gave him mine which powered his computer fine.

I had picked up an Antec Truepower Trio 550w ( as opposed to my original Antec Truepower 2.0, which was also 550w I believe.I picked it up on sale, and it was packaged suspiciously at Fry's; would the PSU be a likely culprit here? I used this new PSU to attempt to turn my PC on before I sent out my motherboard, and it seemed to do the same thing of shutting the computer off immediately. This was a new symptom I did not have with my old PSU.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor, EVGA GeForce 7600GT Video Card, and 2gb of RAM I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor, EVGA GeForce 7600GT Video Card, and 2gb of Corsair DDR2 ram.