Computer help forum: GeForce 4 MMX 440 with 8x AGP Dual Screen Problems

by: als5122 June 30, 2008 10:31 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

GeForce 4 MMX 440 with 8x AGP Dual Screen Problems

by als5122 - 6/30/08 10:31 PM

Hi! I currently have a home-built system (please see bottom of post for specs). I am using two dual-output graphics cards (nVidia FX5200 256mb acc. clock PCI & GeForce 4 MMX 440 AGP 8x, both with one VGA, one DVI, and one S-VIDEO out) to make a quad-monitor system. Heres the only problem: Windows will only recognize the GeForce 4 as a single-monitor capable card! I have verified that my version of the video card is capable of dual monitor output -- all GeForce 4's with multiple output ports are (according to the nVidia support files). here's the details, and what i've tried so far:

Windows only recognizes the GeForce 4 card as a single-monitor card. When both monitors are plugged in, it displays the same on both monitors (clone mode). The "Display Properties" only gives this card 1 monitor, whereas it gives the other card 2. Also, the nVidia Control Panel only gives me the option of a single monitor under the "Configure Multiple Monitors" options page.

Windows correctly identifies the monitors when they are plugged in to just one of the output ports, and correctly identifies the monitor on the VGA port when both are plugged in.

I have tried the following, with nothing in the following list causing any changes:
1. Updating nVidia Drivers and accompanying software to most recent version
2. Updating BIOS to most recent version
3. Changing BIOS settings for maximum video shared memory (256mb)
4. Changing BIOS settings for "Primary Video Adapter" from PCI to AGP and back
5. Check IRQ Resource Conflicts for all items in machine -- there are none
6. Taking out the FX5200 card, and using only the GeForce 4.
7. Having only one monitor connected at a time to the GeForce 4 while it is the only graphics card in the machine (using either output port)
8. Switching all the monitors around (all four possible configurations for the GeForce 4 produced the same results (no change) with the FX5200 both in and out of the machine)
9. Actually uninstalling all video device drivers, then reinstalling the drivers for only the GeForce 4.
10. Removing all extra hardware, including all PCI Cards, all extra hard drives, and all USB peripherals.
11. Power levels within the system constantly monitored for 48 hour period. All power within the case is clean, no voltage jumps or drops anywhere in the system.
12. PRIME95 run for 48 hours - no system instability.

Nothing I can think of can fix this! Its like the card is stuck in clone mode at a hardware level, so windows won't even recognize its potential to support dual monitors! Nothing I can possibly think of to do would cause this! I have also closely inspected both of the video cards themselves for DIP Switches or Jumpers. Both have NO physical settings.

SYSTEM
------
Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D875PBZ (no built-in audio) (running at 400MHz bus speed)
Processor: Celeron 2.3 GHz
RAM: 1.5GB (config: 2x 512, 2x256, running in "Dual Channel Without Dynamic Mode")
Windows Version: XP Pro SP2 (5.1, Build 2600)
Graphics Cards: (outputs described above)
-nVidia FX5200 PCI 256mb Accelerated Core Dual-Output (when I purchased this card, it was marketed as having an "accelerated" core, and being faster than other FX5200 models. I don't know exactly what this means. Please see below for super-detailed description of card)
-nVidia GeForce 4 MMX 440 with AGP 8x 64mb Dual-Output

Markings and Unique Identifiers on the FX5200:
-The circuit board itself is *blue* instead of green.
-There is a circular, low-profile, metal case with plastic fan blade, silver-color fan on the front.
-There is a sticker that says the following ('/' means next line): "GeFroce FX5200 D256M / P-FX20-H256DN-V85S / FRAS3-306011 V4.34.20.56.01 / HY5DU561622CT-5" with a bar code directly beneath the last line. This sticker is place on the blue plastic of the VGA connector.
-On the front, there is (besides electrical and circuit markings): A circle with an arrow in it, what looks like "D33058" directly below it, a "CHAINTECH" sticker on the fan, the CE and FCC logos and notices, and "60ohm/5mils, 6"" (includes one quote after the 6, thats not a typo)
-On the back there is a yellow sticker directly above the "Made in China" sticker that reads: "S/N: C 0406091511" with a short barcode above it. There is also a green sticker with a clock on it with 7 marked, and a red "2004" in the center. In addition, this side has a weird logo that looks like two upside down L's in a circle with a line through it, and the printing "CL-2", "94V-0", "E241819" in a normal typeface, and "0419" in an 'LCD' typeface.

Markings on the GeForce 4 MMX 440 with AGP 8x:
-The circuit board itself is a dark brown.
-The heatsink is passive (no fan), and spreads the length of the proccessing unit, and has two thumb-screws that look like capacitors at first glance. it is solid black, and very low profile (about 1 cm tall).
-The DVI port is "soldered on", but the VGA port is connected via a ribbon cable (like the really really old serial ports).
-There is a sticker on the S-VIDEO out that says "MX440 8X-V64(N4)"
-There is the same arrow-through-circle logo as the other card, with "D41039" printer below it.
-The normal CE and FCC logos.
-A white filled in circle with a Check mark cut out of it and "N625" printed next to it.
-The back has a sticker with "910521018824700251LZB" printed on it directly below a barcode.
-It also has a logo with bubble letters "L M" on top of an oval, plus the printing "94V-0" and "M6" in normal typeface, and "0247" in LCD typeface

For both cards, the individual secondary chips have numbers and printing on them. If you need it, request it, and I will post it.

Thank you for any and all help you can give me.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close