Computer help forum: PLEASE HELP - Mouse Freezes/ Jumps/ Stalls - XP-Pro SP2

by: NetKnockout November 26, 2006 10:35 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

PLEASE HELP - Mouse Freezes/ Jumps/ Stalls - XP-Pro SP2

by NetKnockout - 11/26/06 10:35 PM

I'm having a freezing/ sticking problem with my mouse! I have searched every where for an answer, and while I found many answers, I didn't find one that works...: (

I don't think it has anything to do with my actual mouse, as I have tried several different mice... The mouse gets "stuck" for a jiffy, (1/100th of a second) or two and then will free up, sometimes it just jumps around by it's self, scrolls pages at it's own will, and there are other times that it freezes and can only be unfroze by rebooting...

*This problem started about two weeks ago, and thus I tried using system restore to reset it three weeks back thinking I must have done something... Though, the problem is still here, unfortunately!!!

*I have done several virus scans, adware scans, registry scans, etc... I have ran defrag, checked the drivers, checked for device conflicts, etc., yet I cannot find a logical cause nor solution...

*I've checked the task manager, and I recognized all the running processes except one, OFFPROV.exe, though it checked out to be a legit program... I ended the OFFPROV.exe process anyhow, seeing how I had not seen it there before, but I still have my mouse issues!

*I've checked the system information which tells me that my mouse is working OK...(too bad that's not the truth)

*I checked the event viewer, and did find these two error messages, each several times:

The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
fasttx2k

COMPUTER SPECS
HP a1130n (XP- Pro) SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor
1.0GB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA HD
16x DVD+R/RW
DVD ROM 16x max speed
2nd HD with Windows ME and 80GB

(From PC Pitstop, stats and information on my pc, including running programs at the time of this post, (and yes the problem is occurring now)

This system performs extremely well on our benchmarks and appears to be among the fastest systems available! See the information below for your system details and advice on how to tweak the hardware and software for best performance.

Main BoardDescription Your Results
Brand/Model HP Pavilion 061 PX769AA-ABA a1130n
Type Desktop
BIOS Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.12 04/11/2005
System Board MSI ALBACORE 1.0
ProcessorDescription Your Results
Brand/Model AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Nominal Clock Speed 2167 MHz
Measured Clock Speed 2167 MHz
External Clock Speed 199 MHz
CPU Load 0%
Speed Rating 7093 (103% of 610 similar)
Windows ConfigurationDescription Your Results
Common Name Windows XP Pro SP2
Full Version Windows XP Pro SP2
First Install Sun Jul 24 2005
Free Resources 90%
Fonts Installed 215
Windows Scripting Version 5.6.0.8820
PCPitstop Version 161
CPU Load 0%
RUNNING PROGRAMS:
Name Vendor Complete File Name
Realplayer RealNetworks, Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
QuickTime Icon Apple Computer, Inc. C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Office Data Provider Microsoft Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\Msinfo\OFFPROV.EXE
GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier ... \GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
Nikon CoolPix Monitor Nikon Corporation C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
ScreenPrint32 Provtech Limited C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe
Spyware Doctor Helper PC Tools Research Pty Ltd C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
snoopfreesvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
Media Center Remote Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1152132551\ee\aolsoftware.exe
(Various) Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\wjview.exe
AOL Connectivity America Online C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
HP tray icon Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
SnoopFree SnoopFree Software C:\WINDOWS\SnoopFreeUI.exe
Print spooler Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
AOL WAN Miniport America Online, Inc. C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Symantec products Symantec Corporation c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
Symantec Common Symantec Corporation c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Microsoft Media Center Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
MCRD Device Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe
Local Security Authority Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
Service control process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Service host process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

I'm having the same freezing/ sticking problem with my mouse! I have searched all over for an answer, and while I found many I didn't find one that works...: ( I don't think it has anything to do with my actual mouse, as I have tried several different mice... The mouse completely at random gets "stuck" for a jiffy, (1/100th of a second) or two and then will free up, sometimes it just jumps around by it's self, and there are other times that it freezes and can only be unfroze by rebooting... I have done several virus scans, adware scans, registry scans, etc... My pc, is only about 6 months old... I'm not an "expert", but I know my way around my computer rather well, and I believe I have covered all the bases in attempting to diagnosis and solve this issue... The problem only started about two weeks ago, and thus I did a system restore going back a month, thinking I must have done something... Though, the problem is still here, unfortunately!!! I've checked the task manager, and I recognize all the running processes except one, OFFPROV.exe, though it checked out to be a legit program... I ended the OFFPROV.exe process anyhow, seeing how I had not seen it there before, but I still have my little mouse issues!
I have ran defrag, checked the drivers, check for device conflicts, etc., yet I cannot find a logical cause nor solution...: ( I checked the event viewer, and did find these two error messages, each several times:

The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
fasttx2k

COMPUTER SPECS
HP a1130n (XP- Pro) SP2
1.0GB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
16x DVD+R/RW
DVD ROM 16x max speed

(From PC Pitstop, stats and information on my pc, including running programs at the time of this post, (and yes the problem is occurring now)

This system performs extremely well on our benchmarks and appears to be among the fastest systems available! See the information below for your system details and advice on how to tweak the hardware and software for best performance.

Main BoardDescription Your Results
Brand/Model HP Pavilion 061 PX769AA-ABA a1130n
Type Desktop
BIOS Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.12 04/11/2005
System Board MSI ALBACORE 1.0
ProcessorDescription Your Results
Brand/Model AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Nominal Clock Speed 2167 MHz
Measured Clock Speed 2167 MHz
External Clock Speed 199 MHz
CPU Load 0%
Speed Rating 7093 (103% of 610 similar)
Windows ConfigurationDescription Your Results
Common Name Windows XP Pro SP2
Full Version Windows XP Pro SP2
First Install Sun Jul 24 2005
Free Resources 90%
Fonts Installed 414
Windows Scripting Version 5.6.0.8820
PCPitstop Version 161
CPU Load 0%
Name Vendor Complete File Name
Realplayer RealNetworks, Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
QuickTime Icon Apple Computer, Inc. C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
ATI Hotkey Utility ATI Technologies Inc. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Office Data Provider Microsoft Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\Msinfo\OFFPROV.EXE
GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier ... \GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
Nikon CoolPix Monitor Nikon Corporation C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
ScreenPrint32 Provtech Limited C:\Program Files\ScreenPrint32 v3\ScreenPrint32.exe
Spyware Doctor Helper PC Tools Research Pty Ltd C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
snoopfreesvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
Media Center Remote Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1152132551\ee\aolsoftware.exe
(Various) Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\wjview.exe
AOL Connectivity America Online C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
HP tray icon Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
SnoopFree SnoopFree Software C:\WINDOWS\SnoopFreeUI.exe
Print spooler Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
AOL WAN Miniport America Online, Inc. C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Symantec products Symantec Corporation c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
Symantec Common Symantec Corporation c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Microsoft Media Center Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
MCRD Device Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe
Local Security Authority Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
Service control process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Service host process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

COMPUTER SPECS
HP a1130n (XP)
1.0GB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
16x DVD+R/RW
DVD ROM 16x max speed

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close