0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Boot Glitches and Misspellings

by Kenemon - 3/24/13 5:35 AM

Dell Latitude
Using Windows XP
Have a dual boot with Ubuntu, but that isn't the problem

Okay, this problem has baffled other computer "experts" I try to talk to, so I'm using up my last resources. I hope you guys are as smart as you seem.

This problem has occurred to me twice. Both times, my laptop would freeze and flash a black screen for about five seconds, and then return to normal for about ten. This pattern continues until action is taken.
The first time, yellow lines appeared near my cursor, and they would move around with it. I closed the laptop, and when I opened it back up after around ten seconds (it hadn't entered standby) the screen was white with some dark lines over it. I shut it down by holding down the power button. Upon reboot, the "DELL" screen had blue lines running down it. Start-up also took a bit longer than usual. The dual boot screen looked fine, and later when I booted Ubuntu, it started normally as well. However, upon booting Windows, the nightmares began.

The Windows boot screen appeared, with some lines running down it. Then, it showed an unusual screen. Exclamation points in groups of two ran down the screen. The "Safe Mode Select" screen came up, exclamation points still running down it. The points ran over the text. The text itself was horribly misspelled- all t's had turned to u's and vice versa, and all p's had turned to q's and vice versa (these weren't the only misspellings, however.) This, along with the points, made the text horribly difficult to read- although some letters remained unchanged, making reading it possible. Upon selecting any option on the "Safe Mode" screen, the screen goes black, then come up with something like (but not exactly!) the blue screen of death, and then the computer reboots itself. The only way to get it out of this cycle was to hold down the power and shut it off.
Upon doing a memory test, it was revealed all of my files had remained intact. Unable to solve the problem and rushed to go on vacation with my family, I shut the laptop down and left it.

The second time it happened was today, a week after the first incident. Upon returning from my vacation, I decided to boot up my laptop just to humor myself. To my shock, it booted fine! Amazed, I started Windows and immediately began where I left off. Upon boot, yellow lines appeared near my cursor, but this was solved by toning down the hardware acceleration by a notch. In the middle of my browsing, again the screen would freeze and turn black. This time, I booted the Task Manager, and noted that whenever the computer froze, explorer.exe's CPU usage would spike. Ending explorer.exe did not solve the problem, and instead, nothing spiked. Rebooting explorer.exe, I shut my laptop. This time, when I opened it, the screen had turned pitch black instead of glitchy white. I shut down my laptop, and upon reboot, the same "nightmare" described above ensued- again.

Dear gods! I was just getting used to my laptop again. Can anyone figure out what is going on, and how (if) I can solve it?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved