Computer newbies forum: Wireless dfficulties caused by i-pad and me

by: evennewerbie October 9, 2012 6:05 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Wireless dfficulties caused by i-pad and me

by evennewerbie - 10/9/12 6:05 PM

I should never have believed the guy in the shop who said it was easy to set up TP-LINK 150mbps Wireless N Nano router Model No. TL-WR702N (to give it its full name) as a repeater so that I could access the web with my I-pad from the West wing of my mansion through 20 m and three walls to my computer.

It comes with some short and to me ambiguous instructions in a bad translation from some oriental language. (BTW being in Italy I already have to contend with four languages, English, Italian, English computerese and Italian computerese and believe me fluency in the first two does not guarantee ease of translation between the second two.) Also a formidable nearly 200 pages of elaboration on a disk. So after some time-consuming misunderstandings I have changed my IP somewhere. They tell you to. But nothing I did changed the reach to the i-pad, it still only networked near the computer.

Computer was working normally yesterday when I did that. But switching on today the computer could not contact internet. The computer however can communicate wirelessly with my printers. Strangely, not initially, but afterwards for a bit the I-pad was definitely able to contact the web - e.g. I downloaded today's newspapers and posted on a forum using it. But after a bit that no longer worked either and I get signals like 'no network coverage'.

Now if I go into I-pad Setting , Wi-fi , Chose a Network, shows name of my domestic network, and TP-Link -number. Going to mine it shows an IP address and Subnet mask, all else blank. TP-link showed no info before, now what it does is ask me for a password. If I go the computer Network Connections one of the three icons that used to be there is now missing and the wireless connection Netgear WG111T icon Properties shows an IP and subnet mask different from the above two and also a 'Predefined Gateway' (it's called something else in English) number.

Is all I have to do is make the numbers in the two devices the same? which way roynd then? Or what? I am frightened of making it worse and losing the limited functionality like printing from the computer I need in the rest of this week before I have to leave for ten days. The wireless system was installed by a technician, I have no hope of understanding it (I do have a Wireless Networks for Dummies book but it is above my head).

One of the bugbears I've found is passwords. Instructions talk of passwords and they are sometimes asked. To me that could mean any of five - the password of the computer which maybe I remember, not sure, I wish it didn't have one, for all I know it is deactivated, the password of the wireless network, the pw that came with the TP-link device, the pw of i-tunes to which the i-pad is mystically joined, or a password I am supposed to invent myself. Anyway none of these ever work.

Is a quick way out of this in a short time obvious to anyone? I have got Windows XP to the best of my knowledge. I am writing and sending this from a netbook, I could not send it from the main computer for the reasons explained.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved