Steps to Clean up and Speed up your Computer
Your problem is not uncommon. Unfortunately, so many manufacturers are preloading their computers with so many free and trial software programs that it can take forever to boot up as well as may run very poorly. Also, I dont know how long you have been using this computer, but you may also be infected with some spyware or even a virus. If you follow the steps below, it may take you a few hours to completely cleanup your system.
Note: If your computer came with less than 512 meg of memory, you should consider adding some extra memory.
1. The first thing is to make sure your computer is clear of any viruses by running a full virus scan with whatever scanner you may have installed. Make sure you run the update for your Antivirus software first before scanning.
2. The next step is to uninstall any programs that you do not intend to use. For best results, it is recommended that you restart your computer after uninstalling each program. Click on the START > CONTROL PANEL > ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS. This will bring up a list of all the installed programs on your computer. Start going through the list and remove anything that you know you dont want. Some examples may be AOL, i-Tunes, Microsoft Money, Quicken, Earthlink, MusicMatch, any search assistant type programs, Google Desktop. If you are unsure about any of the entries, just leave them. Norton or McAfee Internet Security can tend to be a real resource hogs, so you might want to consider removing them and install something else such as AVG, but that is up to you.
3. From that same ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS window select the ADD REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS TAB on the left and uncheck to turn off the following if already checked. Indexing Service, MSN Explorer, Windows Messenger.
4. Run Windows Disk Cleanup. START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > DISK CLEAN UP and check off all categories. I also like using ATF cleaner to remove Temp files, clean up History and clear the Prefetch.
5. Download and install SpyBot Search and Destroy. After installing you will need to run update to get the most recent definitions. Scan and remove anything that it finds. You may also want to download and install Ewedo and do the same. You may need to run these scanners a couple of times to remove all the problems.
6. Check the Startup tab in MSCONFIG. Click on START > RUN and type MSCONFIG. Click on the STARTUP TAB and uncheck any items that you know you do not want to start such as Real Player and MSN Messenger. If you are unsure of any entries try a Google search to learn more about what they are before removing. Now restart your computer.
7. Finally you want to run Windows Disk Defragmenter to reorganize your hard drive. Click on START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > DISK DEFRAGMENTER. NOTE: This can take a few hours to complete.
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)