Computer newbies forum: Neither PC nor Apple

by: DoggoneDeb July 31, 2005 9:08 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Neither PC nor Apple

by DoggoneDeb - 7/31/05 9:08 AM

We found this forum quite by accident yesterday when looking for help in uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2005. You people were most helpful in dealing with that problem, so I wonder if you might share your wisdom regarding our quandry. We own both a PC (an old Gateway Astro that can not be upgraded) and a six-month old iBook (loaded with all the extras). We can't seem to make the leap to Apple and are wondering -- at this crossroad -- whether to turn back or go ahead.

First, you need to understand that my husband hates computers and only has one because he runs a small (one man) business and uses the machine to run Quickbooks to generate invoices and provide bookkeeping for his tax accountant. I enjoy using a computer to do research on the internet and to play Scrabble with the always-willing Mavin. We use dial-up because we can't justify broadband on our limited seniors' budget, and would be scared to death trying to deal with what that would mean.

We ran into trouble with our PC because of Norton Security. When we joined the world-wide web a few years ago, we did as we were told and bought Norton Internet Security. Between the dial-up and Norton, it would take 3 to 4 minutes to load a webpage. It certainly dampened the internet experience. When we upgraded Norton in 2004, the computer became unusable. We spent months trying to get the software off the machine. Friends told us to get an Apple: it was easy to use (true), the software always worked because it was made for the machine (mostly true), and you didn't need to worry about using Norton (sold!). We, who know nothing about computers, had a wireless home network up and running in two hours.

The downside of the Apple has been: all our files are on the PC so we lose the history in Quickbooks and Microsoft Money, and I can't read the LCD screen. I find I keep using the old Gateway CRT because my arthritic hands like the keyboard and my tired old eyes love the computer screen. We looked at the iMac but even the 20'' screen, though it is easy to see, didn't have the sharpness of our little Astro. But we're told all the new PC computer systems are coming with LCD screens. Sigh.

I figured I should again install an internet security package on the Astro if I were going to insist on using it to go on the internet. I consulted Consumer Reports (Wish I'd consulted this website!) and once again tried Norton for protection. The computer once again became unusable -- couldn't even get on the internet. But the good news is that it has led me to this forum for the computer-challenged. I see that there are some better options for internet security software on the PC so we might live happily with a PC on the internet -- which brings us to our quandry: to Apple or to PC?

We love the Apple because we have their protection plan, which means we have great support with people who speak fluent English (very important), and a system that is pretty easy for neophytes (also very important). But the reality is, we keep using the PC because the software is familiar and provides historical data (We thought we'd be able to convert the data, but haven't found a way.), some websites don't seem to work with the non-PC browsers, and the CRT screen and keyboard are easy on the hands and eyes.

Before we invest any more time and effort and money, we need to fish-or-cut-bait with the Apple. But if we do, can we buy a PC system (our new HP printer says our computer is lacking) with a CRT? and from someplace that can understand us? It was a nightmare trying to talk to the HP person who was trying to help us figure out what had gone wrong with our old printer; it became easier to buy an inexpensive new one. There have been computer businesses in our tiny town but they never last more than a year-and-a-half so we are reluctant to rely on a local shop to build us a computer. And we wouldn't know a competent computer person from a nincompoop.

Your insights would be most welcome. Thanks.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close