Windows 8 forum: Does Windows 8 offer any improvements in usability or efficiency over 7?

by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) November 2, 2012 5:19 PM PDT

Like this

13 people like this thread

Staff pick

Does Windows 8 offer any improvements in usability or efficiency over 7?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) ModeratorCNET staff - 11/2/12 5:19 PM

Does Windows 8 offer any improvements in usability or efficiency over 7?

This is a question for the community about the new Windows 8. I am a computer professional dating back to the olden days when you programmed them by positioning eight switches and then hitting "commit" to write a single byte. My native OS was Multics, the forerunner of Unix. I have obviously seen many changes over the years, but since the introduction of the consumer PC, I am not sure any have been quite the magnitude of change that Windows 8 represents, at least not as rapidly.

I already bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro but I am hesitant to install it on my Windows 7 Pro desktop. Previous versions of Windows were optimized for the desktop and mouse, which I use exclusively (even on my laptops I use a mouse, never having grown comfortable with the touchpad or joystick). I have an Android smartphone, which I love, but I have no desire to use a touch screen on my desktop or laptop, and indeed I try very hard to keep their monitors free from fingerprints.

Windows 8, however, seems to me to be optimized for smaller touch screens at the expense of desktop and laptop convenience. I have only tried it using some third-party emulator software but it seemed weird (new things often do, so this is not necessarily a deal breaker) and cumbersome (which may be a deal breaker), requiring click-and-hold, slide, slide, click for things formerly accessible by a single click, although that may be the fault of the emulator. I understand that it was only in late beta releases that Microsoft removed a feature allowing users to boot directly to the "classic" Windows 7 (or Vista, XP, 98, 95, 3, 2, etc.) interface, and now allowing its invocation only as an application. Nasty!

So I am asking you, good people, does Windows 8 offer any significant advantages over Windows 7 for the traditional desktop user? Is the bootup quicker (with my SSD, bootup is pretty darn quick with Windows 7)? Is it lighter-weight, freeing up RAM for applications? Is it more secure, faster, better? As I said, as a computer professional I will need to familiarize myself with it quickly, but I am reluctant to use my chief production PC merely as a training tool for myself.

To sum it up, does Windows 8 offer any material improvement in usability or efficiency over Windows 7 for the desktop user who has no desire for a touch screen, or indeed does it have any advantage that might warrant its installation as a replacement OS on a desktop or laptop other than the sharing of the user interface with touch-screen devices? I thank you folks for your information and opinions here.

-- Submitted by: Woody S.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close