The Mac Lounge forum: Has Apple Lost Its MoJo (mo~jo | noun) : charm, magic?

by: ajtrek November 9, 2012 6:01 PM PST

Like this

6 people like this thread

Staff pick

Has Apple Lost Its MoJo (mo~jo | noun) : charm, magic?

by ajtrek - 11/9/12 6:01 PM

Before I begin to elaborate on the title let me state that I am an Apple product enthusiast. My meager collection of Apple products consists of a 17" MacBook Pro (early 2011), a 27" iMac (late 2009), 1st and 3rd Generation iPads, two iPod Touches, two Time Capsules, 1st and 2nd Generation Airport Expresses, two 3rd Generation Apple TV's, iCloud storage and I use iTunes match! OK....I don't yet have an iPhone...so sue me. At the moment I'm debating whether or not to buy the iPhone 5 or wait until the next iteration to give Apple time to fix it's maps app and maybe include some other nice-to-have features like NFC (sweet).

So, why do I ask...Has Apple Lost Its MoJo? Recently, while cruising the CNET site I ran across several interesting articles. One by Charles Cooper, an executive editor at CNET News discussing the recent drop in Apple Stock. Another by Greg Sandoval who covers digital entertainment for CNET who commented on an interview of David Sobotta, former director of Apple's federal group by Readwrite.com wherein Sobotta allegedly questions Tim Cooks leadership style and dubbed him a tech "lightweight". In an article by Steven Musil, night news editor at CNET News he cites quotes by Jeffrey Gundlach, CEO and co-founder of investment firm Double Capital as having told CNBC that Apple shares may drop to $425. However, on the brighter side Oppenheimer & Co., analyst Lttai Kidron believes that the pounding that Apple stock has taken is over done and the stock will bounce back, this from an article by Roger Cheng, an executive editor for CNET News.

Lot's of negative press lately about the Wunderkind-Corp Apple. We all know that Apple is the master of fanfare and mystique when it comes to a product launch. No one does it better. But I wonder as consumers have we come to the point that we expect any major revolution in tech entertainment products and/or productivity to bear an Apple logo.

The last revolutionary product from Apple was the iPad. New iterations of the iPhone, iPod Touch and siblings, as well as Apple TV have all been evolutionary. By that I mean they are basically the same products that essentially do the same thing as their predecessors, but only better. The last two unveilings of the iPhone after much fanfare were followed by "antenna gate" and the most recent in the form of the iPhone 5 has major problems with its Apple branded "maps'" feature. So much so that Tim Cook made an apology and of all things recommended an alternative competing platform (that shall go nameless - but it starts with "G")!

I must admit the Retina Display that first appeared in the iPhone was revolutionary and required some amazing technology to make it work. However, the inclusion of the Retina Display in the iPad and of late the MacBook Pro line IMO is no more than what one would expect. Start small (iPhone) then after a few teaks go large (MacBook Pro). Recently, Apple put the iMac on a much needed weight loss program. But isn't every manufacturer finding ways to cut the fat and go lean and mean. So when the next Retina Display appears in the iMac will that be revolutionary or evolutionary? You make the call.

I do believe that Apple will introduce another revolutionary product that will rock the tech industry. Let's not forget that Apple is still in it's infancy when compared to also-ran tech giants like Sony and HP and will not turn 40 until 2016!

The Apple design pipeline I would suspect is a treasure trove of exciting things to come. However, until then Apple needs to find away to stay relevant but ease the pressure of having every product advancement that it unveils being viewed as the next technological planet buster. I still don't get all the hoopla over the iPad mini. Sure it's small and light weight but from a capitalization point of view it's what Apple had to do in order to fill a competitive gap. Frankly, I'm still a little miffed that my 3rd Generation iPad is now old news after only 6 months! As Brian Tong would say....BADDDDD APPLE!

So, I ask you again...Has Apple Lost Its MoJo...or is that we expect too much in too short a span of time from the this tech juggernaut? Not to tick anyone off...but...just look at how long it took Microsoft to develop Windows 8. I'm just say'n....

What are your thoughts? Lets hear 'em!
Thanks!

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to add link to articles on 11/13/2012 at 3:49 PM PT

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close