The Mac Lounge forum: Don't allow such changes to come to versiontracker.com

by: Andrew Jung-100000000000000000000000000037945 September 4, 2009 10:51 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Don't allow such changes to come to versiontracker.com

Hello, just a note to say that I was less than impressed with the changes that happened at MacFixIt.com and the forums. If versiontracker is merged into download.com or something of the sort, I will be furious and I will be down one more of my daily web sites that I visit.

So far, as I expected, I am less than impressed on what has happened with the versiontracker network of sites since the purchase. I wish you were purchased by someone that actually cares about these sites and not just wanting to catch the Mac bandwagon.

Sigh anyhow, MacFixIt is now off my list. As an Information Architect, I am totally put off by how much of a downgrade this move has been. Resources like this should be all about Findability, Usability, Accessibility and most importantly, Consistency.

When you have a site that is as established as MacFixIt, you want to provide pathways and a schema to make a site as familiar to your user base as possible. There was a reason why users preferred MacFixIt over the cnet Mac Forums. MacFixIt had something that the Mac Forums didn't. To suddenly drop the forums and expect your user base to accept what is considered an inferior site in organization, structure and design only serves to compound the other thing that cnet Mac Forums is missing that being the users and MacFixIt Forum's most powerful resource, the long-time contributors.

What should have happened was a slow migration with the active participation and feedback of your user base to make this into what was great about MacFixIt forums and to bring familiarity to those that used it regularly. Not an NDA and a sudden announcement.

Sad to say, but I hope versiontracker network got a good price for its sites, because this move really has really killed, fragmented and alienated the once united MacFixIt forum community with its resource power. Something that I don't thing will ever be able to be achieved again with this site because of how the transition was handled, a lot of people have been upset by this and from what I see their not migrating to here. Rather many feel lost and without their familiar home and as you are sure aware of now there has been a refugee camp set-up elsewhere on the Net.

Don't let it happen to the Versiontracker.com site. If anything, download.com should be dumped in favour of it.

Sincerely and with regards and luck to your community rebuilding,
Andrew.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close