Miscellaneous laptop discussions forum: Laptop ultrabook or any lightweight laptop - advice needed?

by: rishijd March 17, 2012 2:53 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Laptop ultrabook or any lightweight laptop - advice needed?

by rishijd - 3/17/12 2:53 AM

I want to buy a laptop, but I'm very confused! I'm a web developer, and I use my PC for: - email (Thunderbird), lots of browsing, FTP, Firefox/Firebug plus several other browsers for browser testing, Photoshop, Windows 7 and Microsoft Office.

I've been really tempted by the lightweight models such as Asus UX31. The Toshiba models are more expensive but also look good:

Asus UX31 - all in all this seems great, higher resolution, the the big flaw that CNET reports is the keyboard/trackpad not being very usable/comfortable over a long period of usage (i.e. hours). Has this been fixed or is this still an issue? (I seem to find reviews only from 2011 but the models continue to sell as the top choices today).

Toshiba Z830 (1.1kg) - core i5 1.6Ghz, 128Gb SSD hard drive, 6gB RAM, Win 7 Professional, free external DVD drive.

and a higher spec, heavier but still lightweight model: Toshiba R830 (1.4kg) - core i5 2.5Ghz, 500Gb SATA hard drive, 8Gb RAM, Win 7 Professional, dvd drive internal - I read some random reviews on this and it seems good, but some say that they can get much cheaper brands for the same spec, but at a slightly heavier build around 2kg. Also I read that the battery life is not so good, not sure if that's correct.

I'm confused because the ultra-lightweight Z830 model seems great to me, but will it run Photoshop and my other (above) applications well? On a desktop level at office, I use an i3, 2Gb memory (but probably will soon need an upgrade), and the hard drive space is probably enough at 128Gb, but of course the more the better. However, if I get a laptop, I still plan to use my desktop at office but use the laptop from home (evenings), weekends or when travelling once in a while.

OR see my questions about the UX31 above.

If the laptop were that powerful for my needs, I would simply hook it up to my external keyboard, monitor and mouse at office, and give the PC to another member of staff, thereby using the laptop permanently (one machine only, work and home).

My BIG question is, the price is the same for the above 2 models, and cheaper for the Asus..so do these specs match what I need? Does it make more sense to get the R830 since it's better spec, or does the SSD Z830 sound advanced as it is? I'm not sure if the SSD lighter hard drive would be an issue in the long term, or if the performance isn't so good, but if the R830 reviews arw NOT that good then I of course prefer to go for the lighter weight model Z830. I'd just like some opinions and advice urgently to help me make my decision happy

Many thanks!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close