Spilled Drink on Laptop-Help!

by clarees - 2/25/08 2:29 PM

I have a Toshiba A25-S207 that I've had for a few years, and accidentally spilled a drink on the back of the laptop. My techie friend tried cleaning it by removing the battery, hard drive, and cooling fan then soaking it first in distilled water then silicone based water displacement spray, but it still doesn't work. I have Windows XP that I'm happy with, and overall happy with Toshiba and have concluded I'm probably going to have to buy a new laptop. I read about Dell's poor support and other makers' issues, but have been very satified with Toshiba. That was my second Toshiba laptop in 10 years, so I'm pretty happy with them. I used the laptop for business, email, pictures, and watching movies. One alternative I was given by another techie friend was to buy a new motherboard, otherwise I'm looking at just buying a new laptop. The options I've considered are:
HP DV6500I or 9500
Dell Vostro 1400
or Dell Latitude D630
or just another Toshiba Satellite comparable to the one I had. I've had 4 Dell desktops with few problems over the past 15 years, so I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?