Miscellaneous laptop discussions forum: Best choice for a laptop to be used for CAD applications?

by: trinarae January 11, 2007 3:31 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Best choice for a laptop to be used for CAD applications?

by trinarae - 1/11/07 3:31 PM

Hi all:
I'm gearing up to buy a 1st laptop. I've got 2 Dell desktops (work & home) that use primarily for CAD drafting and web-surfing/research. Also some business-type applications like letter writing, accounting etc. I also do photo editing (but not video, as yet) and have been know to play games/watch DVDs.
I am looking for a laptop to improve the general portability of my work -- i've got some out-of-town clients & need to take the show on the road.
I THINK i need quite a bit of RAM:(i'm used to how my CAD program works with the 512 i have now, but it does hang-up on big cut & paste or moving large hunks of a drawing).
I assume that a 80-100gb hard drive would be fine.
I've never used anything like Bluetooth or wifi, so i don't know whether they'd be something that i'd need -- am assuming that i need some kind of connectivity on the road.
I have been looking longingly at 17" screens -- the wide aspect ones would, i think, be useful for the drafting. The more of a large drawing that i can see at once, the easier it is to keep track of what i'm doing. (I have 19" flat panels on my desktops). The screen questions are:
1. is the extra cost of a 17" (versus 15" or 15.4")worth it for CAD drawing resolution?
2. What about XGA v. WXGA v. UXGA v. anything else that might be out there. (I imagine that once i get my hands on this puppy, i'll want to use it outside upon occasion -- like at a job site).
Weight is not a huge issue, since I mostly won't be carrying it very far.
The last major parameter is keeping the cost down to around $1000 -- so i have been browsing the sales and Dell's clearance center etc. I imagine that some of the 'deals' out there are just that, and others are 'pigs in a poke'
So: can anyone out there help a poor Luddite?
Thanks!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close