FORGET HP !! Buy a cheapo and save a headache
by RobCinLA - 9/14/12 11:36 PM
I have to let everyone know, IF you purchase an HP computer. You are NOT getting a fully licensed product from Microsoft. Now I am not referring to OEM, that has been used for yrs by Dell, Toshiba, and all other OEM laptop makers. MY NIGHTMARE EXAMPLE. Purchased brand new HP dv-7, decided to upgrade the OS drive to an SSD from a VERY slow 750 Gb drive.
1. NO INFO on install issues with SSD's on HP's website.
2. Went ahead and purchased a SSD without a SATA cable. SPENT 40 bucks from 3rd party vendor for OEM part that could NOT be ordered from HP, so that I could connect to the secondary HD bay.
3. Ordered 'Recovery Discs' from HP to head off any driver or OS install issues arrising from a 'recovery option'.
4. Got it all together, Ran the tests for both HD's (the SSD was really cool fast) - Both passed the BIOS HD tests.
5. Inserted recovery disc ordered from HP (20 Bucks) and FAILED with a "Intel Storage Technology' must be enabled 'Warning". the System then shut down and install failed.
6. Checked BIOS, NO option for selecting Secondary as boot drive, CHEAP CRAPPY BIOS!!!
NOW the NIGHTMARE STARTS: 3 hrs later I got this from 4 separate support calls:
1. Use the SSD as a Secondary, you can't use it as a primary. (oh please)
2. The image is too big for the SSD, you have to buy Acronis compression (50 bucks) to load the OS onto a smaller drive, since the recovery cd is too big for the SSD. (how nice)
4. You can't use a secondary HD because it wastn't shipped from the factory that way. AND NO we won't send you a Windows 7 disc because we dont have a LICENSE for it. (has anybody notified MSLI of this??)
NOT ONCE did ANY of the techs or 'supervisors' (OMG) even address the 'Warning' message!!!
All I got was 'Baffle him with ********' answers, NO RESOLUTION, and passed on AGAIN to get this ---SALES!! What a crock. Now has ANYBODY successfully upgraded a DV7 Quad to an SSD
OS without having to spend 200 bucks for a Retail Windows 7??
DON"T BUY HP - THEY ARE UNREAL STUPID!!!