HP forum: Driver for HP PSC 1315 not installing properly

by: kimada17 December 9, 2010 4:00 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Driver for HP PSC 1315 not installing properly

by kimada17 - 12/9/10 4:00 PM

I did a search and couldn't find a thread already on this subject, but if there is one, could someone please post a link?

Long story short: The printer in question is an HP PSC 1315, an all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier) that I've owned for several years and has always worked fine - until now. A week ago my laptop that was running Windows Vista died. I tried replacing it with a Mac; major compatibility issues. So I returned the Mac and bought a new laptop that is running Windows 7 64-bit. After many phone calls to HP's customer service, including one that verified that there *was* a driver for this printer for this Windows 7, I located it and downloaded it. But it's not installing correctly.

I've tried three times now (I think; could be more) and the installation always fails at some point. The last time, earlier today, I got a "fatal error" message after which I was told to click "continue" so it could remove the files. I did that, but then later - after (yet another) restart - noticed a shortcut for the HP Solution Center on my desktop. Tried it and discovered the scanning function seems to work (so much for "removing files"). But there's no printing function.

I did notice, on the same page as the driver link, download links for 2 update files. I downloaded those but wasn't sure when in the process to run them. Tried them anyway and discovered they were just diagnostic tools, not updates; maybe the update runs after the diagnostic, but the diagnostic didn't finish.

Since HP's tech support had been so helpful before, I decided to try them again about a half hour ago. It seems my luck has run out; all I got this time was the standard story: This printer is obsolete and they don't support it anymore. Well, if they want to say that I certainly can't stop them, but as far as I'm concerned a working printer - which is what it was, on the previous laptop - is not obsolete. I'm also wondering why HP would offer a driver for Windows 7 for this printer if they weren't going to support it.

Here is the page I got the driver and "updates" from:
http://tinyurl.com/2vqdeg5
(HP link was really long, so I shortened it)

And here are my questions:
- Did I grab the wrong driver?
- If anyone here has gotten this driver to work, how did you do it?

Any other suggestions/info you could provide would be appreciated. I'll check back periodically tonight to see if anyone replies. If I can't get this resolved, tomorrow I'm going shopping for a new printer - and it probably won't be an HP. (Did I mention that the dead laptop was a 2-year-old HP Pavilion?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Meg

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close