by: grimgraphix July 24, 2010 8:30 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

lost permissions for iTunes after migrating to new MBP

by grimgraphix - 7/24/10 8:30 AM

MBP 2.4 ghz running 10.6.4
iTunes 9.2.1 (4)
Factory refurbished model that I have been using now for about 10 days.

OK, so I got a new macbook pro. Now, I had been keeping my iTunes library on an external HD but I decided to migrate the library over to the new computers HD by hooking up the external, and using the Add To Library to import all my tunes. I have never purchased any music from the iTunes store, but I did have some free downloads from them.

I went to get a free compilation from the iTunes store last night, and got this message...

iTunes couldn't download your purchase

You don't have write access for your iTunes media folder or a folder within it. Change permissions (in the Finder) and then chose Store > Check for available downloads

Well, I did all this, made the permissions both Read and Write in all the folders associated with the iTunes library... and still no luck. I reset the path to the library in the iTune preferences panel >advanced settings, and still no luck.

I then decided to reauthorize the account, but got this message when I entered my iTunes password...

There was an error storing your authorizations information on this computer.

The required file was not found or has a permission error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or de authorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed.

Now, I have found tonnes of info about this (or similar) problems on the net, but no one seems to have posted a consistent fix. Proposed solutions vary from fixing the folder permissions in the Finder (which I have done 3 or 4 times now), to messing with the media library xml file, to dragging the whole library to the desk, restarting iTunes, then importing the original library back to the rebuilt iTunes folder. I imagine that if this is a DRM issue (which I suspect it is) then that last solution won't fix the problem either.

Will doing an Archive and Reinstall solve the issue? Can I just throw away all of the DRM tainted items and regain access to my iTunes library? How would I even identify which songs are even using DRM coding?

I'm considering doing an Archive and Reinstall anyway, because this computer is acting a bit buggy. I'm not sure if this could be a hardware issue since this was a refurb model, but I haven't done all the hardware test from the OS disc yet, since I've been busy reinstalling software and libraries from my old computer.

Thanks folks, for any help you can give me on this.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close