Mac desktops forum: iMac dying... is it Heat? Hard Drive? Something else?

by: kcausin September 7, 2009 1:28 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

iMac dying... is it Heat? Hard Drive? Something else?

by kcausin - 9/7/09 1:28 PM

So, I think my iMac is dying in some form or another, but I'm not sure if it's the hard drive, something heat related, or a combination of the two.

A preface: the machine is mainly used for the web, iTunes, and Warcraft, and I run iStat menus to keep track of system temperatures, etc. I run SMC fancontrol to keep the fans spun up when playing wow, and have noticed a significant difference in wows performance since beginning to do that late last year. Over the summer, I've noticed serious intermittent performance issues. Looking back, the common thread seems to be that I have issues when I'm not running the air conditioning, and the ambient temperature heats up over ~80 degreesish. The hottest I see my mac get when having these issues is ~135 (all temperatures are farenheit), and they seem to be substantially reduced below 125 degrees. Programs can take a while to launch, the system intermittently hangs, especially playing music or games, and beyond the stutters when playing music in iTunes or while playing wow, I find that the machine simply will not finish booting after being shut down if it's hot. I need to let it stay off for an hour or two and cool down to boot properly.

Running Apple Hardware test (on a hot machine) comes up with an HDD failure, and running disk utility fails to complete, or just doesn't even see the drive (if run from a cd while the machine is 'hot') - if I run both when the machine has cooled down, things pass with flying colors. The AHT error is: "4hdd/11/40000004: SATA(0 , 0)" - which, I'm presuming based on some googling means the drive is in fact, screwed. But it passes other times, so I'm just thoroughly confused. Will a new Hard Drive fix it? Should I be looking at something else?

This machine is out of warranty, and I'd /like/ to get it fixed for cheapish - any reccomendations? Was looking at this drive from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218 , but I'm a few years out of the loop on messing with iMac innards, so tell me if that's a bad choice. (It's a 2.66 Ghz, Early '08 Aluminium model).

Attempts to back up the drive have been mixed - things move /very/ slowly sometimes, and occasionally flake out with an utterly uninformative error -26 after spending an hour copying (and we're talking trying to move 1Gb files over FW 800 - that shouldn't take a whole hour.) sad

Alternately, the issues I'm having seem to be significantly reduced in severity when the AC has been on for a while - iStat shows nothing running too hot (HDD sits around 95-110F, most other components the same, the outlier is the power supply which spikes to 120-130 when I'm playing a game or watching some HD video or some such.

Why would having the AC bringing the ambient temp down 5-10 degrees provide such a massive performance difference?

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close