tech support responce
by populuxe - 8/25/11 6:36 PM
In Reply to: will try to reset by populuxe
I was happy to get an email from the netbook's distributor tech support today. I've never done this type of update, I'm not going to think about the danger, only the fun. I'll take it step by step. A previous comment on the discussion was to provide a link to the manual. This was absolutely spot on and I apologize for the omission, I'm sure someone would have found the solution in those documents (downloads) if I would have provided. I could have never figured it out myself
Here is part of the response:
Step-by-step instructions on how to install the OS image update
***You will need: - an SD card with a minimum of 1 GB of space. - make sure the SD card is not HC [High Capacity] - a computer with an SD card reader/ SD card USB reader
1. Insert the SD card to the computer via SD card slot or USB SD card reader.
2. Open "My Computer" and find the SD card. It will have the name of the SD card you gave it or the brand name followed by a drive letter (E:, F:, G:, etc.)
3. Format the SD card. Right click on the SD card and select "Format..." Select File System "FAT32." Make sure you do not do a "Quick Format." If "Quick Format" is selected uncheck that box. Click "Start." After the SD card is formatted go to the next step.
4. Go to: http://www.digitalgadgets.com/mini-netbook.php - Click on the "Downloads" tab between the "FAQ" and "Features" tabs.
5. Download and save the SYNET_NEW_SHELL_IMAGE.zip file to your desktop (or any place where you will be able to find it).
6. Go to where you saved the "SYNET_NEW_SHELL_IMAGE.zip" file. Right click on the file and select "Extract file here" or "Extract to" or "Extract all." It will produce a folder called "Script" where you extract it to. Note: it will usually extract to the same locations and the .zip file.
7. Once the "Script" folder is properly extracted move it to the SD card. To do this, right click on the "Script Folder and click "Send to." Select your SD card. You can also simply drag the "Script" folder to your SD card and drop it in. both of these methods will copy the "Script" folder into the SD card. Note: The "Script" folder should be 132mb in size. Make sure the "Script" folder is the only thing on your SD card.
When you are done move on to the installation process.
The Installation Process:
1. Make sure the Smartbook is powered down.
2. When the Smartbook is turned off, insert the SD into the device. The SD card goes in upside down with the metal plates facing up.
3. Once the SD card is inserted, turn on the Smartbook.
4. The software should now start to load.
5. Wait for the update to finish, do not press any keys during this time.
6. When prompt to remove the SD card, shut down the Smartbook and then remove the SD card.
7. Once the SD card has been removed, restart the device.
8. The next time you restart the Smartbook you will notice a new operating system has been installed.
Was this reply helpful? (0) (0)