TOP 5 weekly issues - April 19, 2013

by Jan_AVG AVG staff - 4/19/13 7:23 AM

** Anti-Rootkit: Driver Not Found **

The "You are not protected! Anti-Rootkit: Driver not found" and/or "Anti-Rootkit kernel-mode driver not found" error messages are displayed when AVG Anti-Rootkit driver is corrupted or missing. We recommend to run the complete reinstallation of AVG in such cases.

** Toolbar_log.txt **

The AVG Toolbar log file (toolbar_log.txt) may rapidly increase its size under specific circumstances. The symptoms are computer slowdown, decreasing disk space and slowed-down internet connection. We have found source of the issue and fix was already released as AVG Toolbar update. If you are still having any of described symptoms please re-install AVG toolbar using latest installation and follow the Slowdown of computer or internet connection and decreasing disk space article.

** iTunes library is missing **

Some of you reported that iTunes library is missing lately. We would like to inform you that new virus database (3162/6241) which contains fix was released via automatic update. It is recommended to restore previous backup of iTunes library if it was removed. There are two options how to restore iTunes library:

A. From manually created backup.
B. From automatic backup.
- 1. Display hidden folders and show file extensions.
- 2. Navigate to iTunes library folder.
- 3. Close iTunes and temporarily disable AVG.
- 4. Find *.tmp file created on day when issue appeared for the first time.
- 5. Copy and rename it to iTunes Library.itl.
- 6. Run iTunes.
If the library is not loaded repeat steps 3-6 and try another *.tmp file.

** My computer is infected **

Many users are asking us how to proceed when they have a suspicion that their computer become infected. We have summarized general procedure in the My computer is infected. What do I do now? article. In case your AVG is not installed yet we recommend going through the How to install AVG on an infected computer article.

** VProtect Application **

Please be informed that process vprot.exe (VProtect Application) is legitimate part of the AVG toolbar. AVG toolbar is standalone application which can be uninstalled if you are no longer interested in it.

If you have any questions about any of these issues or need help resolving them, please contact AVG customer care experts.