AVG TOP 5 weekly issues - December 2, 2011
by Zbynek_AVG - 12/2/11 5:37 AM
** Firefox 8 support **
A few Mozilla Firefox users mentioned that AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Safe Search add-on is not available in Mozilla Firefox 8. It is likely that the AVG add-ons were disabled together with other third party add-ons while updating the Mozilla Firefox browser. During the update process, user is presented with a dialogue window similar to this one.
Add-ons which were not installed manually by user are by default disabled during the update process if not selected otherwise.
If the AVG add-ons were disabled, please proceed as follows to enable them manually:
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click the Firefox button and select Add-ons.
- Choose add-ons you would like to enable and click the Enable button for each of them.
- Restart your Mozilla Firefox browser.
If the AVG add-ons are reported as incompatible, please make sure to install the most recent version of AVG 2012. Firefox 8 support in AVG 2011 is not fully implemented yet. More information about upgrading to AVG 2012 can be found in this video tutorial.
** White-listed files **
Please be informed crucial system files are white-listed by AVG. This mechanism prevents damaging the operating system when such critical file is infected by malware. AVG will not remove it and user is informed that the file is white-listed. This raises a question how to remove the infection completely then?
- As the first step, we recommend browsing specialized AVG removal utilities on this web page. Simply type a few letters of the infection name to search for suitable removal utility. If there is suitable utility found, download it and proceed according to the displayed instructions to heal the infected files. These specialized virus removal utilities will actually "heal" the infected files by surgically removing the altered malware code only keeping the original code.
- If there is no suitable virus removal utility available, the infected file needs to be replaced with a clean copy of it. Clean copy of a system file could be found on original installation media, in the same operating system running on a clean computer or in a backup (if available). More information on how to replace a system file can be found in this AVG Forums article.
- If you suspect the detected file is in fact clean and harmless, please provide it to our virus analysts as described in this AVG Forums post.
** AVG Security Toolbar was unable to connect with AVG application **
Several users reported the AVG Toolbar was unable to connect with AVG application. The this warning is displayed when the Internet browser is started.
Please be informed this issue has been rectified. Kindly update your AVG if you are facing the above displayed pop-up window.
If the issue is not resolved, please perform AVG repair installation using the most recent installation package:
AVG Free Edition
AVG commercial versions
Should you face any further challenge, please contact AVG technical support.
** AVG requesting system restart repeatedly **
AVG Forums users reported AVG requesting restart repeatedly after completing the AVG update process. This issue is likely caused by certain update files could not been renamed for some reason.
Please proceed as follows to rectify the situation:
- Navigate to the following folder (some files and folders are hidden by default operating system configuration):
...or (if using Windows XP):
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg2012\cfg\
- Verify that the updatecomps.cfg.prepare file is present in this folder.
- Delete the updatecomps.cfg file.
- Rename the updatecomps.cfg.prepare to updatecomps.cfg.
Please contact AVG technical support should you need further assistance.
** AVG 2012 Installation error 0xE001003E **
AVG 2012 installation may fail and report the abovementioned error in some cases. This situation is caused by incorrect registry values. In case you are facing this error while installing AVG 2012, please check your system registry as described in this AVG Forums post.
Kindly contact AVG technical support for further assistance, if the issue cannot be resolved.