AVG forum: AVG crash. I tried it all, am I screwed?

by: vaindioux December 4, 2010 2:34 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

AVG crash. I tried it all, am I screwed?

by vaindioux - 12/4/10 2:34 PM

Hi

I am trying to remain calm but it's getting harder and harder. I have lost my main PC since Friday AM due to the bad AVG update like thousands of others.
I have been all day on the AVG forum and now they seem to be down, I don't know why, I tried to access them on 2 other non infected PC's to no avail.

Ok enough of the rant I was wondering if someone would have a final idea before I put my Windows 7 DVD in there and restore to factory new and lose my stuff (I back up but still stuff gets lost).

I have done the following:

-Create an AVG USB boot disk which failed (I went into my bios and boot order and I don't see a USB boot option only DVD and HD.My PC is 1 year old AMD Phenom II, I am surprised I don't have that option.

-So I tried to create an AVG bootable DVD with their .ISO file which I got done, I checked the file was burned on it and it is there.I made sure to change the boot order in my PC and put the DVD first. That failed, I tried 4 times.

-I have rebooted my infected PC probably 50 times in the last 2 days and have hit various F keys to no avail.F8, F3, F12,F11 and the ESC key to no avail.

-I can't enter safe mode, tried countless times, it brings me to the startup repair utility.

-Startup repair will not work, it fails to restore to an earlier date.

-The only 2 things that I know I haven't done yet are:

1)Use my windows 7 DVD to do a fresh install of windows (My last resort if this post fails to help me.)

2)Do anything from the command prompt which I can access. Guys is there anything I can type at the command prompt to help me?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Patrick ;-(
(Logging off now and going to try to relax in front of the TV with a scotch on ice.)

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close