AVG forum: AVG Internet Security Firewall Settings - Disable Blocking

by: Travel-buddy October 12, 2010 4:12 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

AVG Internet Security Firewall Settings - Disable Blocking

by Travel-buddy - 10/12/10 4:12 AM

Hello,
My problem appears to result from my current configuration of the Firewall provided automatically by AVG Internet Security (vrs downloaded: avg_ipw_x86_all_2011_1136a3181) and unfortunately I?ve not yet got my head around the firewall blocking features of this software.

I have 4 machines connected to a D-link 635 Wi-Fi router.

2 machines are desktops running windows 7 and include AVG Internet Security, both machines are set-up as Small Home or Office Network and are on a homegroup, so can share files and printers. The 2 other machines are laptops running windows XP.

One of the laptops is on AVG Internet Security which has been automatically set-up as a Small Home or Office Network, whereas the second laptop is running Zone Alarm Firewall (Free vrs) and AVG Anti-virus (Free vrs).

I recently set-up the router configuration rules to allow me to plug in a USB external hard-drive into the USB connector on the D-Link router to create a ?Network Drive and I also installed the latest vrs of D-Link?s SharePort utility on to the 2 laptops. The SharePort program automatically runs at start-up and will allow a machine to see and then allow the user to manually connect/disconnnect to/from the new ?network? drive, although it only allows one machine to connect at a time.

Results:
? First on the laptop running Zone Alarm Free and AVG Anti-virus Free, the Zone Alarm firewall asked me to ?allow? SharePort, which I confirmed. The network drive then appeared with a drive letter assigned and I?ve been able to automatically see/connect/disconnect to the drive (read/write access).
? With the laptop running AVG Internet Security, initially when I installed SharePort it automatically executed and displayed a box indicating that the firewall must be reconfigured to allow TCP out port 80:20005 and UDP outport: 9303.
? After clicking OK to the SharePort message, the firewall then asked for me to confirm what setting to apply to SharePort, which I chose ?allow all (recommended)? and checked the save for future box.
? The firewall than confirmed Small Home or Office Network was operating.
? I then clicked on the SharePort icon in the tray and it displayed a box indicating the USB drive is not accessible.
? I then checked the Firewall Traffic log, which displayed numerous entries for every 10 seconds:
o Application = SYSTEM
o Log Action = Blocked
o PID = 4
o Direction = Out
o Protocol = TCP
o Remote Port = 20005
o Local Port = starting at 1400 and then incremented by 1 or 2 for each entry
o Remote IP = nnn.168.0.1
o Local Port = 0.0.0.0.
? Next I ran the Firewall wizard and change the setting from Small Home or Office Network to Allow All, which effectively disabled every blocking setting.
? Shareport icon in the tray changed from Red to Green and on clicking allowed me to connect and disconnect to the Network Drive.
? I have subsequently changed the firewall back to Small Home or Office Network and the wizard indicated that it had applied Network 1 settings automatically.

My goal is to have all 4 machines accessing the Network Drive for file sharing and back-up, so would really appreciate a step by step guide as to how I manually change the firewall settings to insure top notch security whilst getting AVG Internet Security firewall to allow access to the Network Drive. Cheers Steve.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close