AVG forum: AVG update - computer will not boot now!

by: erin_mcg February 11, 2010 8:22 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

AVG update - computer will not boot now!

by erin_mcg - 2/11/10 8:22 AM

Hello!
I hope someone can help me!

Let me first start with:
Service Pack: 3
AVG version: 8.5.435
Virus DB: 271.1.1/2679 - updated 02.10.10 - 2:40AM EST

Yesterday, when I came to work, I turned on my monitor and had the "blue screen of death" and when I tried to reboot my machine in safe mode, the system halted at the file: AVGIDSxx.sys

I tried to contact AVG and they told me to:
First send them files that I cannot access via Windows (meaning logs, dumps, etc).

I replied back to them and told them that I cannot log into Windows at all (either in safe mode or normally)

They then replied and instructed me to do this:
1. Please insert Installation CD of Windows XP and boot your computer.
2. Choose and run Recovery Console.
3. Choose operating system Windows you want to repair.
4. Type listsvc command and hit <Enter> key. This command shows the list of all services and drivers that are being loaded with your system. Note all services/drivers beginning with avg string.
5. You can disable loading these services/drivers with disable command, i.e. you have to type the following commands:
AVG Identity Protection:

* disable avgidsagent (IDP detection engine)
* disable avgidswatcher (Behavioral event monitoring)

6. Restart your computer and boot your Windows normally.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I did that and could not disable the avgidswatcher file - it came up as "not found" on my system

In efforts to further try to resolve this issue, I ran chkdisk /r twice on my machine, with errors being found the first time, and fixed on the first run, ran it again to make sure it was clean, and it was.

Then, I proceeded to search the AVG forums more for information on this issue, and found this:
http://forums.avg.com/cz-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=49133#post_49133

(The information below was pulled from the same post)
Let me just check a couple of things with you first up:
1. When you access the Recovery Console, do you get to log in to C:\WINDOWS ?
And when you get to the command prompt, does it look like this C:\WINDOWS> ?
2. You wrote: "Yes, I have run chkdsk approx 10-12 times over the past 11 days"
Have you run "chkdsk /r", not simply "chkdsk", from the command prompt ?
At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER>
(Note the space after chkdsk.)
Some instructions:
How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console:
http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/reco ... ole_chkdsk

Type the command chkdsk /r (with a space before the /) and press ENTER key.
There are 5 stages. This might take some time to complete.
The system will attempt to re-start normally.

Does your computer start normally now?
(If errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat the process.)
------------------------------------

There are ways and means to access your system to make changes, which will hopefully allow you to get your system started. My first option would be to suggest that you use a version of Linux. To that end I will provide a link to detailed instructions that I have previously posted, so that you can get started making your own Linux CD to boot from.
Download Linux Mint 8 Helena
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
'Alien's instructions for burning an .ISO image
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=204451

I believe that there is a way to access your entire C:\ drive using the RC, but I have not tested it for anything but performing an off-line system restore (accessing the C:\System Volume Information folder to use the system restore points) as described in the following link ...
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&ac ... 1150238652
(There are a few mistakes in the the instructions text, but simply ignore those.
There is a significant mistake in Step #6 when changing the prompt back one directory level: This is given as cd..
In fact you must enter a space between cd and the two dots, so that it looks like this cd .. )

It seems that by "disabling" the system file
C:\windows\system32\config\system <<< file
access can then be gained to other areas of the hard drive that would otherwise return an "access denied" message. "Disabling" of the system file is achieved by renaming the system file to "system.bak" (not a good choice of name since it may already exist, and I would suggest using something else, like "system.old") and then re-starting the Recovery Console by booting the computer from the CD again.

I am inclined to think that performing an off-line system restore as outlined in the above link, may get your system back up and running again.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I followed the instructions on the links and have had no result.

Then, while reading the same information, I headed over to the recommendations that Dell had to disable files:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/customer_report?c=us&l=en&s=bsdv

I tried to disable the files, but some were unsuccessful.
disable avgMfx86 - successfully disabled it
disable avgMfa86 - file not found
disable avgldx86 - successfully disabled it
disable avglda86 - file not found

-------------------------------------------------------

Next, I've emailed AVG technical support a few more times to see if they could suggest anything else, or support me further, and have not heard one word from them.

After that, in desperation, I decided to disable everything AVG that boots up in my system (using a listsvc in windows recovery area).
I disabled these files:
avg9wd
avgidsdriverxpx
avgidserhrxpx
avgrkx86

When I rebooted my machine, still not able to get into Windows normally, tried Safe mode, and now my system halts at this file:
mup.sys

I have tried to contact AVG support again today, with no success, and now the forums aren't even working on their site. I get a message that reads:
An internal error occured

Sorry, the page you have requested cannot be displayed now. Please try it again later. It is also possible that the link you clicked is out-of-date and the information has been moved. In that case please use one of the following links to continue:
and they post links to the support/forums area which do not work right now.

Is there anyone out there that can help me? I do not want to wipe my HD because this is an AVG issue, and I know it can be fixed with the right support, IF I can find it. Also, I do not believe this is a problem that I should have to fix, everything on my machine was perfect until the AVG update on Wednesday night.

Argh!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close