Netbooks forum: How to fix my Samsung N130 netbook?

by: Imbolson July 11, 2012 1:32 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

How to fix my Samsung N130 netbook?

by Imbolson - 7/11/12 1:32 PM

My N130 fell from my desk about a week ago, the screen showed all the colours of the rainbow and start humming loudly.

My first port of call was to check the screen connection after receiving some advice. I unscrewed the screen, removed it and checked the screen connector to see if it was connected. Even though it was secure I re plugged it in and turned it on. No result. Then, I disassembled the entire thing, removed the RAM, unplugged all the wires, removed the fan, unscrewed that silver thing that sits on top of the CPU, removed everything except the hard drive and CPU and left it all in pieces on my desk for about an hour.

Came back to it, reassembled it all and then disassembled the screen, took it out and removed the tape that secures the connection between screen connector cable and the connector socket, just in case it was interfering in the connection in some way. Put it back together and powered it up. Still nothing.

Then I got an idea from something I'd once read, put it on it's side and left it on for about two hours, with the battery in. Nothing really happened. About to give up hope, I decided it was time for some pain. I hit the keyboard roughly on it's left side and also hit the screen. Turned it on and then cried for joy as I saw the familiar sequence of lights flash on, the sequence it has when working. It changed again, but the Samsung boot screen came alive. The screen had lines of jumbled colour in the centre, running from top to bottom and covering the second 's' in Samsung. The blue loading bar froze about a third of the way in. I left it for a few minutes and then forced it to shut-down by holding the power button.

Turned it on again, only the power light came on. Tried again. The last three lights came on. Tried again. It booted up properly, past the Samsung boot screen, past the windows loading screen and onto the password display(still with the garbled lines in the middle. The little box came up telling to plug in the charger or change the battery. Stupidly, I plugged the charger in and it froze. I had to forcefully shut it down again. It's not booted since, but every time I turn it on the sequence of lights change, it's almost as if how fast and how hard I hold the power button changes it.

This has been quite a long post, I didn't want to miss out a single detail just in-case it helps figure out what the problem is. Can anyone come up with a solution?

I don't want to keep restarting and forcefully shutting it down because I'm given to understand that it can have detrimental effects.

My net-book is a Samsung N130, Windows XP, 1 GB ram, 1.6ghz Intel Atom CPU, 160 GB HDD. If you want more specs, just ask.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved