Tablets forum: Keep or exchange Sam. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Xmas present?

by: NotEd December 28, 2012 10:31 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Keep or exchange Sam. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Xmas present?

by NotEd - 12/28/12 10:31 AM

My big gift this year for Xmas from my spouse was a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet, which she bought me so I could use my already purchased apps from the Google Play and Amazon App Store I got for my HTC Inspire 4g she gave me a year and a half ago.

The problem is that when I was first given the phone I found it great compared to my old Symbian Nokia phone, but over the time I've used it I become disenchanted with it slow, single-core speed, not only with games and multimedia, but the way it bogs down when just trying to switch between apps. I also hate how HTC decided not to upgrade it any further that Android 2.3.5, leaving me out of newer OS enhancements unless I want to root the phone, which I don't.

I've done some research on the Galaxy Tab 2 and am a little concerned that Samsung's choice to go dual-core on the processor, rather than using the Quad-core Tegra 3 proc that some competitors were using, plus the lower resolution display that was common when the Tab 2 was released earlier in the year, will leave me disappointed.

I have not yet opened the tablet to try it, thinking that if I really wanted to I could exchange it toward another tablet with slightly better specs. I am planning on web browsing, e-book reading and some games on the tablet primarily.

What I am looking for is opinions and input on whether I should stick with this very generous gift or scrape together a few bucks to upgrade to another tablet? Money is tight, but I might be able to pull together or charge at least $50, to maybe $150. The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 looks to go for about $350, but I do not know if it was bought for that much.

Before it is suggested, I would probably stick with Android, rather than switch to an iPad. I admit I find the whole iOS experience very smooth to use, but I hate iTunes and would not want to get locked into it. Maybe if I won an iPad Gen 3 or higher I would consider it, but right now Apple is just priced outside of what I want to spend.

Thanks for the help!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved