Tablets forum: Looking for a tablet to fit certain criteria, suggestions?

by: Kittd101 July 18, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Looking for a tablet to fit certain criteria, suggestions?

by Kittd101 - 7/18/12 9:49 AM

In the process of buying an inexpensive but efficient tablet, any suggestions?
Alright. I'm a young college student and I am looking for something to use that I could take in place of my laptop to some of my classes. I have a few features that I feel I need to have in order to make my college classes easier. I also enjoy writing and am going to be majoring in English and creative writing. I want something that I can write on and it will turn into a typed up document (I prefer hand writing my stories and it takes me a many long, boring hours of typing on my computer to get it printed in a word document).

I want a tablet that:
- is not a laptop or notebook with a pivot screen (I want a completely separate tablet. I have a laptop that works perfectly well and does not need replacing. I just want something small as well).
- is able to open word documents (and powerpoints if possible) and write on them.
- can go onto the Internet (wifi)
- allows me to write or praw on pictures (not a must, just a want).
- can download e-books for my college textbooks.
- (if it can download e-books) is able to write and annotate e-books.
- has hand writing recognition that will turn it into typed up documents.
- will connect to my computer and allow me to transfer any documents I worked on that day.
- has at least a 4 hour battery life (has to last the full class and a little while afterwards for homework.
- and, most importantly, costs $600 dollars or less. (I work at a QSR and make minimum wage. This is all I have managed to save up to buy myself a tablet.

I know that my price range isn't great (And I might be willing to go up to $800 dollars if I'm really careful with my money and can save a little more), but I would really love any advice you can give me as well as a few prices you can buy it for. The weight is not important because I'm sure it will weigh less than my laptop does I'm still better off with the tablet. If the weight bothers me when I go to buy it I will just choose annother tablet that was suggested.

Finally, I would also appreciate it if you could tell me of any features you feel I could use or would like in a tablet. If the tablet you are suggesting has that feature, even better!

I thank you for reading this and am thanking you in advance for any help you might offer me on this thread. I look forward to reading your advice/suggestions to me.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved