CNET to the Rescue forum: HP Recover Disk error

by: mmiskill March 5, 2010 8:04 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

HP Recover Disk error

by mmiskill - 3/5/10 8:04 PM

A friend of mine called me and told me he was getting a new computer. I asked him why, as I had done work for him on his box and it was relatively new. He said he had gotten a virus and rather than bother me, he had called HP Support. They charged him for a set of restore discs and sent them to him. He tried to do an install, with HP's support, and it failed. They then told him that he had a bad hard drive and had to send his tower in and they would replace the drive for $250 or they would sell him a factory restored model of his same computer for $350. I had him cancel the order. I tried to do an install and got the same error messages, even after a full wipe of the HD. I then pulled out an original MS version of his OS (Vista Home Premium) and it installed without a hitch using his product key. To sum it up, there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with his computer. It has since been upgraded to Windows 7 and has been running without a hitch. When I did an online search of the error (I'm sorry I can't recall the number of the error at the moment) I saw messages going back for at least a year. HP was maintaining that it was HD errors. At one point during my friend's support session with HP, they asked him for the numbers on the back of the sleeve for his Restore Discs, then assured him that that batch was OK. When we looked in the root folder of the Restore Discs after the fact, we saw that they contained patches. I maintain that this has been an ongoing problem with HP of which they are fully aware yet continue to deny, preferring to sell unsuspecting customers refurbished computers instead. I did contact their head office regarding this and was thanked and told it would be dealt with internally. Right! It sounds to me like HP has quite the scam going. Sell people corrupted Restore Discs, then upgrade them to a new computer when the discs fail to install. It sounds like a great way to move all of those returns. By the way, did I mention that my friend is 90 years old and homebound? His computer is his lifeline to the outside world.
Thanks for listening. I was extremely frustrated over this matter. It's nice to have a venue in which to air it out. We're not looking for any compensation of any kind, I just hate to see corporations get away with this kind of abuse.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close