Resolved question

how can I fix my laptop? It freezes soon after it turns on

by theantijohn - 3/7/13 9:53 PM

A couple years ago, my laptop's screen started to begin to fade out until it eventually faded out completely. I brought it to a shop to get it fixed but was told that it would be too expensive, and I might as well buy another laptop. I didn't really need a laptop so I didn't bother and I just left it to collect dust for a couple years. Recently, my dad said he knew somebody who could fix it and he actually did. The screen works fine now. But every time I turn it on, it freezes after about five minutes. I'm talking total freeze, can't move the mouse or anything, nothing not even task manager works. I've tried waiting for up to thirty minutes, but it doesn't unfreeze. So, I have to unplug the charger (battery is also broken, so I have keep it constantly plugged in.) When I boot up in safe mode, it works fine and doesn't freeze. I really have no idea how I can fix it, and I brought it to a shop again and they told me the same thing as last time (too expensive to fix.) I expect someone is messing with me....

Anyway, I'm thinking that I should just format the hard drive but I'm a little hesitant because I suspect it's a risky move. Seeing as I'm too lazy to try to fix it (unless the solution is simple), I think I might just format it. Would you advise against this? If so, what can I do to fix it? I should note that I don't really know much about computers, so please bear with me.

Here is my system's information that I got from dxdiag:

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/5/2013, 23:23:37
Machine name: MELON-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Phoenix/SiS
System Model: M730SR
BIOS: BIOS Revision: 1.00.04
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1916MB RAM
Page File: 261MB used, 3812MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

my laptop passed the hard drive diagnostics test and I ran chkdsk /f and also chkdsk. I didn't manage to catch the results but after running them, nothing changed. Actually, my laptop is freezing even sooner after startup now, but that may be just a coincidence.