Toshiba Qosmio x300 black screen crash

by BradPois - 3/26/11 12:12 AM

Hey everyone!

A couple of years ago I bought a Toshiba Qosmio x300 and it has worked perfectly until recently.
Here are my specs:
Toshiba Qosmio x300 PQX32C-01U019
-2.00Ghz Core2 Duo P7350
-4GB RAM
-nVidia 9700m GTS (currenly using 7.15.11.7618 drivers from Toshiba)
-Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
-GPU currently running at 58-62 degrees while writing this with just Firefox open

A couple of weeks ago I was playing Portal and over the course of about three days, while in game, the screen would turn black, the sound would loop, but the rest of the laptop including the backlight on the LCD screen would stay on. The only way to fix this was to shut down the computer by holding down the power button and rebooting. I figured this was some kind of a crash due to Portal or steam and didn't think much of it. This week I bought Crysis 2 and the same thing has been happening only more frequently. Sometimes the game will black screen right after a level loads, and other times it will happen some time during playing. This happens even more in the original Crysis where after a minute or two my laptop black screens. At first this would only happen during games but since yesterday my laptop has black screened three or four times while just using the internet.

I have done some research but can't seem to isolate the problem as there are many different guesses as to why this is happening. It appears this is a problem other Qosmio owners have but I don't seem to be able to find a definitive solution. Some say it's the RAM, some say the GPU is overheating, some say it's because of the drivers, and some say it's a bug causing the GPU/CPU frequencies to be out of sync.

Here is a list of things I have tried so far:
-updated my GPU drivers to the newest nVidia version
-uninstalled my nVidia GPU drivers and updated to the newest Tohiba nVidia drivers (7.15.11.7618)
-running Memtest86+ in case the problem was due to bad RAM (no problems found)
-running chkdsk in case the problem was due to file corruption (nothing found)
-scanned for viruses using the avast and then Malwarebyes in safe mode (nothing found)
-removed the laptop's keyboard to blow out dust

It's so strange to me that this is happening after years of everything being fine. I have pretty much tried everything I can think of and haven't seen any results. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for me.

Thanks,
-Brad