Laptop buying advice forum: Toshiba Customer service sucks

by: tuscman1712 December 24, 2012 8:40 AM PST

Like this

2 people like this thread

Staff pick

Toshiba Customer service sucks

by tuscman1712 - 12/24/12 8:40 AM

I'm posting this on every available website so that other consumers will not make the mistake I did by buying a Toshiba laptop.

I purchased a Satellite P845t-S4310 as a birthday present for my daughter. Right out of the sealed box, the touchscreen did not work. I called their technical support number and was first told that the laptop was NOT touchscreen capable. I pointed out that the specs on their website said it was and there was a sticker on the laptop saying it was a touchscreen.

After a couple of different calls, I was able to get them to agree to fix it under warranty. They received the laptop on 11/28/12. On 11/30/12 their repair status website showed the laptop as having been repaired. After a week of waiting for it to return, I called them again and asked the status. They said it was, in fact, not repaired.

Another week goes by and I call again. This time I was told they were waiting on parts that would not come in until 12/14/12. I called on that date and was told the parts would not be in until 12/17/12. I called on 12/19, 12/20 and 12/21 and each time was told they would check the status and call me back. They didn't. Finally they told me that the one part had come in, but now they were waiting on another part.

To date, I still have not gotten my laptop back.

Principal to Toshiba's customer service failure, is their ridiculous hierarchy. You first talk to a person that is completely ill-equipped to solve your problem. Then your call is "escalated" to a "case manager" who is only marginally more adept. Here's where the breakdown gets worse. It is very unlikely that you will ever speak to that same case manager again. Which means you don't have anyone who is "invested" in providing a solution. You have to explain everything over and over again.

Additionally, the case managers have no authority to make the necessary decisions to resolve issues. Plus, they will not let you talk to anyone higher up the chain. In my case, I asked that they just send me a replacement laptop. After all, mine was broken out of the box (or was manufactured to the wrong specs). They gave me the runaround saying that enough time hadn't passed to authorized that kind of action. When asked how much time needed to pass, they said it was handled on a case by case basis. When asked why my case didn't warrant that action, they said that because parts were on order, they couldn't authorize a replacement. I asked what they would do if the product was irreparable. They said they would provide a replacement. I asked how long I have to wait for a part before they deem the repair time as too lengthy. The said one week. I asked how that time frame was determined. The said, you guessed it, on a case by case basis. I asked who makes that decision. They said a upper level case manager. I asked to speak to one of those people. They said, "it's not our policy."

Bottom line: DO NOT BUY A TOSHIBA LAPTOP

Look at all the negative comments regarding this company. Years ago, they used to be a leader in laptop design, sales and service. Not anymore.

UPDATE: On 12/24/12 I spoke with yet another case manager who contradicted what other case managers had said regarding a replacement laptop. He said it couldn't be done and if my laptop was irreparable they would have to look at other options. Still getting the run around, nearly 4 weeks after they received my laptop for repairs.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close