Laptop buying advice forum: Best $600ish laptop for HD vids,music production,gaming?

by: slow235comp November 18, 2012 7:18 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Best $600ish laptop for HD vids,music production,gaming?

by slow235comp - 11/18/12 7:18 PM

Hi,
please pick me out a laptop from these at Costco http://www.costco.com/all-laptops.html or BestBuy, Walmart, etc or whatever's the best deal. Not used.

Under $700
I don't really need more than like 20G storage if that's what the huge HDs are for if not to also increase performance.
I don't need a big screen
I don't need bluray
I don't need a wireless monitor, keyboard, etc
I need a long-life battery for music production and to power a USB MIDI controller keyboard or has innexpensive additional batterie(s).
I need to plug in usb mouse, non-usb keyboard (or usb adaptor if must and possible), and non-usb monitor (or usb adaptor if must and possible)

Costco has on sale a Dell Inspiron 15r Laptop for $599.
Intel Core i7 (doesn't say if 3rd gen or anything if that applies)
8GB memory
1Tb HD
wireless display and bluetoth (I don't need though)
15.6" monitor
not sure which gfx it has. It's in a flyer, couldn't find on website.

I don't know which requires a more powerful machine: to play back and edit HD videos saved from my camcorder, music production, or video games.

HD VIDEO:

10% of my videos are full HD, 90% and what I shoot for now is 720p. I guess this will require more computer than the music production and gaming. I'm not expecting great playback. As long as I can watch the videos without it being too glitcy, that's fine. If I can lower video quality, I'm okay with editing a copy of the HD file and watching in SD if must.

GAMING:

The only games I really want to play are Counter Strike Source
Recommended:
Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better)
1GB RAM
DirectX 9 level Graphics Card
Windows 7

Counter Strike Global Offence
Required:
WIndows 7
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750 processor or better
1GB XP / 2GB Vista,
Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0.

I don't want to upgrade gfx or anything just to get those games at their best, I'm just playing them for some time as a sort of farewell to gaming.

MUSIC PRODUCTION:

I'll be running the latest Fruity Loops and maybe another DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), but I don't think that means I'll need more computer than I do with Fruity Loops, it's mostly about the virtual instrument plug-ins needing more computer specs I guess. DAWs can go so in depth with editing, but I think the HD video or Counter Strike Global will require more computer.
Basically I do work-arounds to not need lots of computer specs for this, like saving parts as audio files and triggering them in a sequencer and piecing things together instead of having many VST virtual instrument plug-ins and stuff going at once. I'm not trying to achieve pristine audio quality or anything like that.

Fruity Loops Requirements:
2Ghz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 (or later) compatible CPU with full SSE2 support. The faster your CPU and more cores it has the more you will be able to do simultaneously.
32 or 64 Bit versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP
1 Gb or more RAM recommended
Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording (if must, I'll get an innexpensive audio interface to connect hardware like guitar, keyboard, and electric drum kit to computer)

I don't know yet which VST Virtual instrument plug ins I'll be using. I might get an all-in-one VST in place of a piano and orchestral ROMpler-type keyboard like a Korg Triton. I do want about 2 in-depth synthesizers, and effects.

Thank you

slow235comp has chosen the best answer to his/her question.
Click here to view the answer that was selected.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved