Laptop buying advice forum: Need help choosing/configuring a laptop. ~$1500 budget

by: David_LaPierre December 12, 2011 3:25 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Resolved question

Need help choosing/configuring a laptop. ~$1500 budget

by David_LaPierre - 12/12/11 3:25 PM

So I'd like this laptop to be a good all-around solution. I'd like it to be portable, long battery, durable, and performing well for a wide range of high demand applications. I have a budget of $1500, but lower is better of course. Impossible goal, I know, but it is the standard to aim for.
Here is the setup I have right now. Please give any input as far as different configurations or different laptops entirely.

Dell XPS 15 - $1370

17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam
15" is the smallest I am likely to go. Smaller screen means longer battery life, increased portability, and likely easier resale. Larger screen means... larger screen, full keyboard. In the case of Dell, getting a 15" screen means a B+RG backlight which gives increased color gamut, but slightly lower max brightness. Also, the 17" version of the XPS has 2 hard drive bays. This has been one of the hardest things to decide on. Any input?
I don't care about the webcam.

i7-2640M 2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz
I chose this CPU specifically because it is dual core and has a high operating frequency. From what I understand, there is little to be gained at this point from a quad core over a dual core, and in some cases a quad core processor is less able to run older software than a dual core with a higher frequency rating. Also, the TDP rating for this processor was 35W compared to the 45W of all other i7s. Is this a good choice?

6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
I will upgrade this to 8 GB myself. Cheaper than buying it from Dell.

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M 1GB graphics with Optimus
Optimus should save my battery life. The only option on this laptop is an upgrade to a GT 555M. The 555M has 3GB of memory, but as can be seen here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html
the specific configuration of the GT 555M used by Dell is "144 cores 590MHz (GF106), 192Bit DDR3". Not bad, but not the best possible, and I wonder how much of an advantage this has over the $150 less expensive 550M. I know this won't be a high end gaming machine either way, but I'd like it to be reasonable capable of playing the latest for a couple years to come. Also to consider is how much easier it will be to resell this laptop while being able to market 3GB over 1GB.

8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
I don't expect to use Bluray

JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
I love the speakers on the XPS line. Has a little sub at the bottom which helps make it one of the best sounding laptops I've ever seen. I use a pair of Logitech UE Triple.fi 10's most of the time, but they isolate so well that it can be inconvenient to use them sometimes, and I don't want to carry around external speakers.

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0
WiFi capabilities are important, the 6230 seems to be much better than the standard adapters used. I don't use Bluetooth now, but I may in the future.

1.0TB 500GB 7.2k HDD x 2
2 Hard Drive bays. Doesn't support RAID, but still could be very useful. Eventually I will upgrade to a nice SSD (or 2), but I will not pay Dell's prices for them.

I think that is about everything. Thank you for the help everyone!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close

You are requesting a clarification of the question: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Submit Clarification Request Preview Cancel

Close

You are posting an answer to the question: Post Subject

Submit Answer Preview Cancel

Close
close

Click here to be notified via e-mail when someone submits an answer.

Would you like to resolve this question? close

Based on your response, it looks like this question has been answered.

Sorry, there was a problem resolving this question. Please try again.

Resolve Leave unresolved