Qs on reinstalling win7 via some Dell reinsallation DVD
by ackmondual - 8/18/12 12:53 AM
I have a Dell XPS 8300. I reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium, using a "Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit" disc. PC is up and running again, more or less nicely.
Some things I'd like to ask are:
1) I ended up doing a "Custom install", as opposed to a "Clean install". Is it much worse to do the former instead of the latter? The reinstall was in response to getting rid of some nasty malware/viruses
2) there's a directory called c:\windows.old which I'll take control of and delete when I'm content knowing I won't need it anymore, but there are leftover directories from my previous installation that are still there... outside of windows.old.
For example, I installed all misc software in directory called c:\Other Programs instead of the usual c:\Program Files (x86)
The latter appears to be a clean slate, but the former still has folders, files, and even working executables from before! What should I do here? Should I....
1) delete these folders before reinstalling the programs
2) just reinstall the programs over them?
3) run the programs as is, without reinstalling them if the executable is still there?
ackmondual has chosen the best answer to his/her question.
Click here to view the answer that was selected.