How to change your laptop into a very very good laptop for $
by Computers-ITPro - 6/23/12 4:37 AM
How to change your laptop into a very very good laptop for $150.
It must be relatively new with DDR 3 memory.
Go to Newegg.com and buy a sata solid state hard drive (128 GB) and two (4GB) stick of DDR 3.
Step by step: Must be Windows 7
1. Get an external hard drive.
2. Plug the external hard drive into your laptop and click on "my computer" and make sure it loaded.(See it)
3. Go to the "control panel" and select "backup and restore".
4..Create a backup...follow directions...don't worry...the PC sees the external hard drive and will automatically save it on the external hard drive.
4-A. Also create a CD to boot to when they ask you at the end after it has created the backup image.
5. OK, you have purchased the solid state hard drive and 8 GB of memory so now take the back cover off and expose the hard drive and memory modules. (It is easy, I taught an orangutan how to do it)
6. Take the junk out and put the new components in. (Now you have a laptop with a blank hard drive and 8 GB's of memory) Unformatted..that's how they come from the factory.
7. Plug in the external hard drive you saved the "backup image" on and make sure it is on.
8. Put the CD you created into the DVD drive and boot to the recovery CD you made.
9. It will automatically find the external hard drive saved backup and ask you if you want to restore it to the
"blank hard drive"...say "YES
10. When it is finished you now have a laptop that is so fast it will "make you coffee, wash your feet, massage your back, do the dishes and calm your wife."
Have fun, don't be afraid.