Slowed down machine
by Mindstyle06 - 5/3/12 12:19 PM
My Toshiba Satellite A505 laptop with i3-330 processor and 4GB RAM has really slowed down and I can't figure out why. I consider myself pretty good with such issues, although not expert. I went through this forum for suggestions (as this is a rather common question posted here) and tried majority of the suggestions but no avail, so posting *my* question. The details follow.
- It started with hibernation not working. The machine won't hibernate, instead would shut down abnormally after a rather long (more than 5 mins) of humming. (Hibernation is very important to me as every night I hibernate the machine so that I can jump start my work as soon as I start the day).
- After wreaking head for about a week with this issue, I removed hibernate option and decided to use Sleep but that doesn't work either, IF I use sleep option from Shut Down menu. If I just let it sleep by not attending for 10 minutes, it would go in Sleep mode without any issues and even would boot normally. I seriously have no idea what is going on.
- It feels like the machine takes rather long time to access any file. You can see that by green bar on the address bar moving slowly. This is not only for the pictures but for any file.
- Booting takes really long time, about 5 mins. Even after you feel that booting is complete, I don't know what it does but it takes really long time to fire up any program or browser. Many times I go and make myself a cup of coffee and still its doing the job !!!
- Once you fire up the browser, any for that matter, it takes about 20-30 seconds to load home page which is google.com
I tried following things to see if it can improve on anything.
- I moved all large files to external HDD and defragmented HDD completely. Some of the files did not defragment. I presume they are system files or something.
- I checked whats in my startup and as many programs I could recognize, I removed majority of them, except the ones I want to start at the startup like Dropbox, SkyDrive etc.
- I ran some hardware test on HDD (the one in Defraggler) and it gave me a verdict that HDD is in good condition.
- Obviously I ran Anti-spywares(Spybot, Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware) and antivirus (AVG free) and nothing came out that should raise a flag.
- Finally ran CCleaner with CEnhancer to remove hidden crap.
And still there is no significant improvement. I have not tried ReadyBoost to see if it requires more RAM (but I don't think so as when I factory restore, the machine is pretty fast). So I am curious if anyone has any suggestion or want me to run some test and post the results.
Or you think its rather easy to just restore that wreaking head with these issues?
Many thanks in advance.