Dell forum: Disgusted with Dell support

by: JohnM700 February 13, 2013 4:19 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Disgusted with Dell support

by JohnM700 - 2/13/13 4:19 PM

A little background: I have had my Dell 1535 laptop almost 5 years. I purchased it refurbished. Aside from the optical drive issue from the beginning I have no issues with the machine. About 4 + years ago I updated to OS to WIN 7. Even though Dell does not support 7 on the 1535 I have had no issues. About 6 months ago the laptop started slowing down; boot would take an inordinate amount of time to come up, but not all the time. I am running the MS firewall, Ad-Aware virus software and disk keeper monitors the hard drive.

1. I installed Jewel Quest games and that's when the issues began. I would be into the game and all of a sudden the laptop would quit working. To be clear the laptop would stop. Just like a light goes off when you flip the switch no warning, no dumps, no log file entries. Just off.

2. I called Dell support and after explaining what was happening the tech told me I must reinstall Vista because Dell did not support 7on the 1535. I tried to explain that I have had no issues with the laptop since the install of WIN 7. He would not hear of it. I decided to just uninstalled the Jewel Quest games.

3. For a time all worked well, then up jumped the devil, the laptop just stopped same as before. However, this time I was viewing a video clip being downloaded from Fox News. I thought this was interesting...but not funny. This happened a few more times. I called Dell and got the same response "Dell does not support 7 on the 1535!" Since my support was scheduled to run out in November 2013 I bit the bullet and reinstalled Vista.

4. I only installed the OS and some support programs along with the Jewel Quest games. I started playing one of the games and again the laptop just quit like turning off a light...no rhyme or reason could be detected. I called Dell support (I now have the support number committed to memory as well as the service tag) I explained the issue and I that I had reinstalled Vista. The Twit responded with 'it is a software issue' and transferred me to Software, where I was on hold for about 45 minutes. It was late and I hung up.

5. The next day I again called support and was pleased to talk to someone with a brain! The first thing we did was run the F12 diagnostics as it ran through the tests I told him there was a disk error and gave him the code (I cannot remember the code).
He determined the disk was bad and asked if I could install the disk drive. I said yes I have done this before. I received the disk in 2/3 days and installed the new hard drive.

6. After installing the Vista OS only (I have been burned before) I revisited the tests. Remember new disk drive; I ran the F12 diagnostics and this time the system crashed (same way) after the second memory test (WCMCH)... the lights just went out.

7. Again I called Dell support and informed then the laptop failed the tests again. I shipped the laptop back to the support center on 2/1/2013. About a week after I shipped the laptop I called support to see what they had discovered. I was told they replaced the disk drive (see #5). I explained that had already been done a week ago.

8. Today 02/13/2013 I received the laptop. The cover sheet indicated that in addition to the hard drive being replaced they installed a heat sync and of course the vista OS. There was also a note that "The system was diagnosed and extensively tested by a certified technicians to ensure the problem you experience was corrected"
Having been burned before I decided to run the Pre-Boot diagnostics (F12) before any additional software installations. Well the laptop passed the infamous WCMCH test and a couple of more. At this point it stopped and asked if I wanted to perform the rest of the tests and of course they were "recommended" and the test would take approximately 30 minutes. I said yes continue. It completed the tests up thru PMOVI and a couple of more.The last test I remember was something that started with WC (kind of appropriate). I turned away and a few moments later the laptop stopped! Same thing. I will call support later and give them the good news. BTW I started writing this yesterday knowing it would probably fail. I am hopeful a responsible Dell representative will contact me and assist in resolving this issue.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close