Dell forum: Dell - Abysmal customer (non) service

by: Torchythebatteryboy January 25, 2013 7:42 AM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Dell - Abysmal customer (non) service

by Torchythebatteryboy - 1/25/13 7:42 AM

I have never felt the urge to post on a forum such as this until now. I would say to anyone considering buying a Dell computer - don't bother. I have a Dell laptop which cost around £800. A couple of weeks after the one year warranty ended the (internal built in) battery failed. I did some research and found that many, many people had experienced the same thing, some only weeks after buying the laptop. Curries from whom I'd bought it washed their hands of any responsibility so I contacted Dell. Initially they refused to do anything other than offer to sell me a refurbished battery for £110 !!! + costs to fit it. I refused and said I felt it was a known problem, quoting the many posts I had seen on Dell forums where Dell people had agreed with irate customers that it was indeed a fault. They wouldn't accept it was a fault and refused to do more than sell me another battery. I said if that was the case I would contact every TV & newspaper consumer protection programme I could find and try to publicise the situation. They then said that as a 'gesture' they would send out a technician the next day to fit a battery. This worked for around 2 months until I noticed the battery wasn't charging even when powered from the mains electricity. I contacted Dell who did some tests and said I needed a new Motherboard at a cost of £650!!! I told them I wasn't willing to accept that on a computer that was a little over a year old and went down the bad publicity route again. The said as a gesture they would sell me an extended warranty for £125 which would mean I'd get a motherboard fitted. I felt I had little choice so accepted. They came out this week & fitted a (re-conditioned) Motherboard. As a result of doing that my keyboard then did not work so they arranged for someone to come another day to fit one. That was done, it still didn't work and the technician said it was a faulty motherboard that had been fitted first time and it would have to be replaced. Interspereced throughout all this were numerous calls to Dell customer support (what a joke). Left on hold for periods of 25/30 minutes, promises of call back that never happened. I eventually mailed Dell's Technical Support Director who promised me that one of his/her senior people would contact me within 4 hours and he/she would personally keep an eye on the situation until it was resolved. That was 8 hours ago and I've heard nothing. I don't think I can adequately find the words to fully convey what a monumentally miserable and frustrating experience this has been!

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close