Dell forum: Why does dell recommend mcafee .....................

by: arlo_price April 17, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Why does dell recommend mcafee .....................

by arlo_price - 4/17/09 11:31 PM

I purchased an inspiron (frustrateron) 1545, dell recommends mcafee so I purchase mcafee virus scan online from mcafee, download to my frustrateron only to find out that it is not totally compatible with the windows defender program that is installed with vista that is installed on my frustrateron 1545. Since installing the mcafee, the frustrateron takes 15 seconds longer to boot, defender won't initialize, and mcafee virus scan has to be manually started on each start-up.

Why would dell recommend it, knowing that it is incompatible???

So I'm really peeved at dell/microsoft/mcafee. If this is how you operate I don't want your product, how 'bout a refund. Not possible, you see returns & refunds are only good for 21 days after the invoice date (3/12/09). The fact that the item wasn't received until 2 days after the invoice date (3/14/09) is irelevant, 'cause you know, the fed ex people could've been using it up until they placed it on my door step.
So I fire up the frustrateron and the first news video I go to watch the volume doesn't work, computer literate, college grad son tries it, still no workie, ditto with other college grad son & daughter-in-law.....obvious operator error 'cause dell doesn't make mistakes lest they open themselves up to product liability litigation; coupla' more tries and still no go....what the hey....reboot.....still no workie. Oh well, I don't have time to mess with it now I have tons of paperwork to do before leaving town on business for 10 days on Monday, 16 March 09....No sense taking the new dell until I have time to get to know it.....we'll just take 'ol reliable my 2 year old Acer that has NEVER let me down!!!
Well when I finally do get around to trying the frustrateron on for size it ain't too bad....I'm kinda' likin' it..... then it's the 13th of April, my mcafee trial is up, I download the mcafee virus scan program and now the fun really begins!!!!!! 5 hours yesterday with their so-called customer support, customer care bounce-em-around so-called techies who know nothing more then what's on the flow chart in front of them which they don't truly understand due to the fact that English is a 2nd or 3rd language for them and for what they are getting paid all that they care about is their paycheck and not their job. What the heck I'll try the chat....Oh great the chat guy is online but...what's this?......my chat window won't allow me to respond!!!!

It is certainly easy to see why HP is outselling dell.

Why would dell recommend mcafee when it is not totally compatible with dell installed vista???

Any recommendations on a nice HP unit to buy?

I wish I'd gone to Vegas with the $500 instead of spending it on this frustrateron 1545.

I'll just have a nice $500 doorstop.

Yo....dell management....2-3 years ago I bought a router (I think it was a linksys) and had tech difficulties from the get-go. Tried the overseas-underpaid-pseudo-techies reading from the flow chart who had heavy accents and who had difficulty understanding me. After 2 back-to-back 1 hour phone calls (the first time they just hung up on me after 56 minutes, the 2nd time they just gave up), I was able to find a stateside long distance toll number for the router manufacturer's office. I was livid, my computer had froze after installing the router and their tech help left a lot to be desired; I was a bit on the ornery side with the receptionist, she gave me an unpublished toll-free number to call back on, then she connected me to level 2 tech..........problem was solved in 90 seconds!!! Less then 2 minutes with a tech who spoke English as his primary language, understood the voice inflections that are an inherent part of every language and indeed are as much the language as are the words, and the problem is solved. Seems the level 1 cheap techies were leaving out an underscore in the command prompt in the DOS program......sheesh!!

2 lessons for dell management:

1) I'll never buy linksys again and it is doubtful that I'll ever
recommend dell

2) Do the math, yes I know that you buy your toll free minutes on the cheap and you pay the foreign workers on the cheap but add it up 5 hrs
and a PO'd consumer versus 2 minutes with knowledgeable, stateside tech help and a satisfied consumer.....kind of a no-brainer!!! BTW the cheap, low tech help can play the game also....they keep transferring and bouncing the consumer around so that it appears to the contractor(dell) that the average phone time is less.....think about it!!!!

Why would dell recommend mcafee when they know that it is not 100% compatible with the vista installed on dell computers?????

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close