Samsung F8500 and Yamaha RX-V575 with no Optical cable
by Dialk - 12/23/13 11:41 PM
Took me a while, but I was able to get my setup working without the need of an Optical cable, though you have to manually select the HDMI source on the Yamaha Receiver after a power on. Here's the different settings I checked/used:
My basic setup:
- Cable box HDMI --> HDMI2 on the Yamaha Receiver
- HDMI Out on Yamaha Receiver --> HDMI3 (ARC) on the Samsung F8500
- Do the basic setup to make sure the speakers are properly configured.
- Navigate to: Setup | HDMI | Configuration
-- HDMI Control: On
-- TV Audio Input: AV1 (Note: I believe if you have the optical cable, this is the port setting)
-- ARC: On
- First make sure you plug in the HDMI cable into the HDMI port that has the (ARC) label ... HDMI3 on my set
- Navigate to: Menu | System | Device Manager | Universal Remote Setup. I deleted all the configs and started over. First add the Yamaha Receiver by following the OnScreen Prompts. Then augment with the cable box (I had to search for my cable box model). Note: At first I couldn't see the cable picture, I had to use the Yamaha Remote to select the correct HDMI source (HDMI2 in my config).
When you turn the TV on/off the Yamaha Receiver should follow suit. When it is powered on, I hear the audio for a moment, then it flips to AV1; I have to manually flip to the HDMI2 source to hear the audio, but it works. I think I may buy the optical cable to avoid the extra button press to avoid causing my wife the grief. It was pretty frustrating to figure out; Hope this helps someone.
Please let me know if anyone has a way to get the Receiver to switch to the correct source. Seems like TV Audio Input should allow for an HDMI Selection. Tx!