Samsung forum: Samsung crystal surround airtrack - sound issues

by: glowsterlad February 8, 2013 1:12 PM PST

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Samsung crystal surround airtrack - sound issues

by glowsterlad - 2/8/13 1:12 PM

Hi all,
Newbie here and I'm not much of a techie... (be gentle with me)
Have explored threads to try and find a solution to my sound issues but no joy (or I haven't looked hard enuf)

I hope I don't make this too long winded but I just want to ensure that you have all the full details ok..........
A while back I purchased a Panasonic Vierra flat screen with all its bells and whistles. Sad that Comets closed but I did take advantage of the offers.
One of the big plusses on this tv was was the 4 HDMI ports (the 2 x USBs and SD/XD have also proved handy mind). Anyway I'm not here to plug the TV but just to show you what my set up is really.
I also purchased a Panasonic blu ray player and my old 5.1 surround system became redundant. A friend of mine mentioned the sound bar option rather than have speakers up in the corner of the room (which my partner detested). To be honest I had never heard of a sound bar... but the Samsung Crystal had great reviews and I picked it up cheaper online too.
Now the same friend also recommended I get rid of my expensive contractual Virgin TV package and use the tv installed free view tuner. To be honest my partner hogs the TV namely the BBC and ITV so she now has both on HD. If I want to watch sports then I can still get the channels on pay per view/short term contract so I am catered for there. I am also swapping blu ray films with others so I have a constant supply of films for 'me' to watch
Now to keep my partner further happy the next item on the shopping list was a humax 500gb freeview box. Yes I have a free view tuner in the tv but my partner wants to record x y and z !
I should add that not having the Virgin tv package is saving me £600 a year ! So the freeview box and blu ray are basically paid for by this saving. (I should also add that I kept the Virgin cable because I have a good deal with this. I am still tied into the phone for a few more months but to be honest we never call anyone on it and most incoming calls are scams or double glazing.) More power to the mobile eh.
Anyway I am digressing here.

My first problem (after wall mounting the TV and connecting the digital aerial cable) was to attach the soundbar, humax box and blu ray player to the TV.
No problem - I connected each to one of the HDMI ports as prev mentioned.
Amazingly.... Everything went like clockwork
Firstly the TV went through all its tuning and bingo all the channels were there to browse through. This is going rather well ...

I should add that I have the freeview cable on HDMI 1
The soundbar is on HDMI 2 and the blue ray on HDMI 3

So if everything went like clockwork what is the problem...
I have 3 remotes .....
All control the volume to some degree.
If I use the soundbar remote there is sound but see below....
If I use the TV remote this also controls the soundbar sound - again see below..
But in order to use either of the above I have to ensure the humax remote has been pressed once (sound volume 1 will show on tv). So I am not sure why I need to do this for starters...
Problem 1.
I have to up the soundbar remote volume to maximum level of 50 to hear anything. Now it certainly doesn't sound right so to get round this I have to firstly reduce the soundbar remote level to 20 but increase the humax remote to 7 or 8. Everything seems that much clearer now and putting my head to the woofer tells me this is working ok too.
I have watched Spiderman on blu ray dvd and excellent.
Problem is watching tv progs...
At various times the volume will increase by itself (not through channel switching ok but through a programme) and I find I am having to stretch for the remote to reduce it ..... (what am I missing here...?)
I should add that the soundbar remote has a 'smart' button option . This is always set to ON . The manual states that "this will regulate and stabilize the volume level against a drastic volume change caused by a channel change or scene transition'.
Well it doesn't (but maybe that is because I am ... er... missing something)
The remote also has a Sound Effect button which I am using. I usually have it on drama or cinema but to be honest the only one that seems totally different in sound from the rest is the 'sport' option. This sounds very echoey when used.
Most of the buttons on the remote don't work and I am figuring this is because I don't have a Samsung TV ?
The final query I have is the Sat Source button.
Only one that works is TV Arc (I haven't gone as far as figuring what this is as it .. well..works - however as everything is attached by HDMI I would have thought this option would have been the one to use) So perhaps someone can put me right on this too.
I did warn you it might be a bit long winded but I would be interested to know if anyone else has encountered a similar sound issue and more importantly set me off in the right direction for a fix. Thanks - John in Gloucester
p.s. Any mistakes made above are all my own work and unintentional of course

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close