Samsung forum: Samsung Blu-Ray's and Netflix (BD-em59c/za)

by: Bad-Samsung July 14, 2012 11:52 AM PDT

Like this

0 people like this thread

Staff pick

Samsung Blu-Ray's and Netflix (BD-em59c/za)

by Bad-Samsung - 7/14/12 11:52 AM

DAY 1
I had issues with two of these devices out of the box. In my initial conversations with Samsung, I was told to call Netflix because it was their issue.

TROUBLESHOOTING WITH NETFLIX
I went through the Netflix standard troubleshooting process (about a 6 - 8 step process that includes trying to hard-wire into your Ethernet, moving your router, etc.). After going through the troubleshooting process, and being escalated, I was told it was a Samsung issue.

NOTE: In a recent call with Netflix, the supervisor mentioned that they are going to be provided more information in the near future because they are limited at this time. This appears to be a positive/proactive step by Netflix because I am aware of a number of issues that they get calls on but have limited information.

BACK TO SAMSUNG
As I began dealing with Samsung the second time, I was taken through their normal troubleshooting process. Eventually, I got escalated and Samsung identified that they had something on their end that was the issue. At this point, I was told it had something to do with the Netflix servers that they were connecting to. They said they would fix the issue (yeah Samsung) but Samsung wanted me to send in the two blu-ray players via UPS. Really?

They were going to pay for the actual shipping; however, I was going to have to pay ~$40 to have them boxed (according to UPS Standards) as well as pay for the box. I was very frustrated because I had purchased these brand-new and kind of expected them to actually work. Maybe that is a logical fallacy of some sort; hut I thought that buying new equipment would mean that it would work. And I don't want to hear from anyone about saving boxes...;).

In any case, as I continued to escalate via Samsung support, I got to the highest level and they were not willing to do anything to compensate me for having to pay to have the devices packed. It was basically "sorry" and I asked for a contact. I was sent a nondescript "group" email address that probably goes nowhere but I am including it as a reference for those who have had similar issues and/or concerns. I intend on sending in my experience so that at least I can feel vindicated and let them know of my saga and how not empowering your employees can end up in Samsung becoming the dinosaur of the future. It will be my "Samsung" break-up letter. I wanted to break up over the phone, but they would not give me a phone number.

Email:
officeofpresident@sea.samsung.com

Address:
85 Challenger Road
Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660

I was not inclined to spend $40 to have my
brand new blu-ray players boxed and sent to Samsung. Thankfully, I was able to return these players to Costco and get my money back. I no longer intend to purchase devices from Samsung even though I am a Samsung home (TVs, Refrigerator, Phones, etc.).

UPDATE 7/14/2012
Even though I have already returned my Samsung devices I had heard via another call with Netflix, that the issue I had been working on for over a months is now a known issue. I wanted to see what Samsung's response was so I called them back up. They admitted that there are currently issues - and it was related to Time Zone settings. I've copied what I was told to do to try to resolve the issue in case anyone else has this type of model. If I were to try this and it didn't get resolved, I would again be escalated...

Instructions:

Power Cycle the Unit
Unplug the Unit for at least 30 seconds
Turn Unit On
Go to Menu
Go to Settings
Go to System
Select Time Zone
Select Proper GMT
Ok and Save
Try to access NetFlix

FINAL WORD
I wonder if Samsung cares...do they want my business? Do they care that I used to be a Samsung home and now I am going to do everything to avoid Samsung because they won't take responsibility for what they manufacture? Good luck Samsung...I bid you a somewhat sad farewell. We had a good run of about 7 years, but it's over...and it really hurts:(.

Forum Icon Legend

• UnreadUnread
  • ReadRead
  • Locked threadLocked thread
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  • ModeratorModerator
  • CNET StaffCNET Staff
  • Samsung StaffSamsung Staff
  • Norton Authorized Support TeamNorton Authorized Support Team
  • AVG StaffAVG Staff
  • avast! Staffavast! Staff
  • Webroot Support TeamWebroot Support Team
  • Acer Customer Experience TeamAcer Customer Experience Team
  • Windows Outreach TeamWindows Outreach Team
  • DISH staffDISH staff
  • Dell StaffDell Staff
  • Intel StaffIntel Staff
  • QuestionQuestion
  • Resolved questionResolved question
  • General discussionGeneral discussion
  • TipTip
  • Alert or warningAlert or warning
  • PraisePraise
  • RantRant

You are e-mailing the following post: Post Subject

Your e-mail address is used only to let the recipient know who sent the e-mail and in case of transmission error. Neither your address nor the recipient's address will be used for any other purpose.

Sorry, there was a problem emailing this post. Please try again.

Submit Email Cancel

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

Thank you. Sent email to

Close

You are reporting the following post: Post Subject

If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language

Spam: Advertisements or commercial links

Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users

Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Submit Report Cancel

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

Your message has been submitted and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.

Close

You are posting a reply to: Post Subject

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to the CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to CBS Interactive Site Terms of Use.

You are currently tracking this discussion. Click here to manage your tracked discussions.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Sorry, there was a problem submitting your post. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem generating the preview. Please try again.

Duplicate posts are not allowed in the forums. Please edit your post and submit again.

Submit Reply Preview Cancel

Thank you, , your post has been submitted and will appear on our site shortly.

Close